Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Slow playing sets?

Does anyone slow play flopped sets or trips? I see posts that say "obviously a set will slow play here" Okay, maybe. But why??? At party there could be two A's on board and a winholdem bot could report your third A to every player and you would still get 5 callers. I see no value in slow playing a set in a loose place like party, am I wrong?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Slow playing sets?

No.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:08 AM

More often than not, you should bet your hands. There are only specific times to slow play and those times are individual situations that deserve their own attention.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 04-15-2004, 12:27 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I see posts that say "obviously a set will slow play here"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in reference to your opponents. The reason is because it is very, exhaustingly common for many players to play sets this way. For some reason, too long to go into, they love to wait and 'wake up' on the turn with this type of hand. Which can kill their action, then they wonder why everyone folded the turn or they're just happy to drag the pot gleefully after 'pulling' a move on the pot.

But just because many opponents do this, doesnt mean it's the optimal way of playing it.

In fact, one good reason (of many) to bet into these types of players with a set on the flop is because they wouldnt play it that way. Hence, they wont put you on it. Even if you know you're behind on the flop, with enough players, you can jam the hell out of it. Sets are very dynamic in all the options you can choose from to play them.

Along with all the other hand you could/should be betting on the flop, what are they going to put you on when you bet after seeing you betting sets on the flop a few times?

Ive slowplayed sets, but not very often. But there are times to do it.

Slowplaying sets/near nut/nut hands is much better tailored to a N/L game, imo. There's just too much action to be had on the flops by just betting them outright.

b