Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 04:54 PM

Default A tough calling decision on the River.

10/20 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 raises (this was only a fractional raise of $2 as he went allin), SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.40 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.40 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.40 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ts Td (one pair, tens).
BB shows Tc 7h (one pair, sevens).
Hero shows Jh Ah (one pair, jacks).
MP1 shows 2c 7c (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.40 BB. </font>

This was a tough decision to make.. would you call too?
The all in player bothered me a little bit, but given that he didn't have much money going into the hand made me feel a bit better. The call by the BB bothered me a bit, but he didn't raise with the possible flush, which makes me feel a bit more comfortable too. I think it was worth a call by a small margin.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: A tough calling decision on the River.

apologies for posting this hand in the shorthanded forum by accident. I almost always play shorthanded, and this table started out short, but then it filled up. but i'll just leave it as is.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:01 PM

I think it's worth a call too. It's pretty certain that you've got the BB beat, and a shortstacked player will often push his chips in a spot like that with as little as bottom pair or Ace high. There are not a lot of plausible two pair hands here, and it's doubtful that either of them have a king. You're closing the action, the pot is reasonable, and I think it's worth an overcall.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's worth a call too. It's pretty certain that you've got the BB beat, and a shortstacked player will often push his chips in a spot like that with as little as bottom pair or Ace high. There are not a lot of plausible two pair hands here, and it's doubtful that either of them have a king. You're closing the action, the pot is reasonable, and I think it's worth an overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn is checked to you do you bet? Or just check.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn is checked to you do you bet? Or just check.

[/ QUOTE ]

With two players having taken the initiative to make a raise on the flop, and a protected pot, I would almost always check the turn.