Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Borgata 10-20 (Toe to toe with the LAG)

Same Borgata 10-20, same players. Lag is tilting a bit and is stuck down over a rack.

I'm in LP, folded to me and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and open raise. folded to Lag in the SB who makes it three bets, BB (any two) cold calls two cold, and I call the raise. ($100.00 in pot)

Flop comes: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
LAG bets, BB calls, I raise, LAG calls, BB calls.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($160.00 in pot)
Lag Bets, BB folds, I call.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($200.00 in pot)
LAG bets and in doing so throws his chips directly at me and into my stack. I push his bet back to the center and pull $40 from the stack and raise while I throw the chips in his direction. He calls.

Comments, questions?

Results to follow later.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Borgata 10-20 (Toe to toe with the LAG)

Had to get a read on the villain here, but the lack of a 3bet from him on the flop has to rule out TT or a random 8, From the tone of the post and the river action I'm guessing AK or AQ and you sucked out on him on the river (with a lesser chance of a PP that was behind the whole time.) By your call of the turn bet instead of a raise, you must be thinking you're out kicked here too, although with your additional outs to clubs, I would raise the turn a goodish amount of the time (~75%) Either way, The river had to come as welcome relief.

If he 3 bets you here, how many bets are you going to with second nuts to chop?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:49 PM

Precisely why I rasied the flop, wanted to slow down the PP and Big ace, and find out if he did indeed have TT. No three bet, I'm golden.

Turn, yeah I smooth called figuring kicker might be garbage with flush redraws.

River, I'll go four or five bets here against him.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:08 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

preflop openraising is good, and reraising is bad. so far so good.

on the flop, though, what are you representing? a ten? an EIGHT? i think you'll get 3bet here often enough to make this free card play not worthwhile (or get led into on the turn), and if you hit the flush you can definitely raise and get paid off on a bigger street. i would call the flop and be inclined to raise a brick turn. it represents an actual hand, and people would have a hard time calling you with something like AJ which should happily 3bet you preflop.

you hit your board, but i don't see a point in your hand where you strategized a way to win it unimproved. i think it's usually worth at least one shot.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:13 PM

Are you crazy?? 4 or 5 bets?? Do you really think there's that good of a chance that he will 3bet you with a hand that you can actually beat? If you get 3bet you're almost certainly chopping or behind, and you can only call hoping for the former. If he's somehow behind, count yourself lucky, but reraising someone who has shown aggression on all streets when your hand only barely became a chop seems ludicrous to me.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:14 PM

I seriously considered raising the turn as well and if the BB had been in there I surely would have, but HU vs. the lag with position I chose the cheap river.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:15 PM

He's a tilting LAG. I've gone 4 or five bets to chop but Ive been shown bupkis too.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Borgata 10-20 (Toe to toe with the LAG) RESULTS

LAG shows the overplayed KK and I had him stomped on the turn. My lack of raise on the Ace made him figure his hand was good.

Scooped a nice one.