Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Cold Calling Twice In One Hand (cross post)

Hi everyone, I realize a lot of you don't read the forum I mainly post in. So I was wondering if some of you could look at what I consider to be one of the more interesting hands I've participated in, in the past month (posted 3/25/04):

"I can already forsee much flamage about the way I played this hand, however, after sitting on it for a few days, I now firmly believe it was the best way. I can only think of one spot where I would be willing to play it differently, and even that is for only one reason. Also, I don't know if it matters or not, but I am literally tearing this table apart. My table image is that of a winner that plays good cards.

Some info about opponents:
SB is loose aggressive. He can bet into a raiser with just about anything. He's not dumb though, and knows when to quit.

UTG is also fairly loose aggressive, as well. When he raises PF, it is with a wide variety of hands, and he doesn't like giving up on his hands after raising PF.

CO: Note that he is posting this hand, and has both his big blind in the pot, plus a dead SB. Extra dead money. He's a calling station. If he raises, it probably means top pair or better. If he calls, it can pretty much mean any two cards. I don't think a check-raise is in this guy's reportoire -- as when an obscure (or not so obscure) card makes his hand he typically just bets out with improvement.

I would have posted this hand earlier (it was played about a week ago), but the way it was played just felt so weird, I wanted to make sure I was truly ready to defend it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The hand (Prepare to rip me a new one [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]):

Party Poker 10/20 (6 handed)
Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is Button

UTG raises, CO(poster) calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds

Flop(9 1/2 SB): T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, UTG raises, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls

Turn(8 3/4 BB): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG calls, CO calls

River(12 3/4 BB): K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG folds, CO folds"

Also, to add right now, in the initial post Zee Justin suggested to 3-bet PF to force the blinds out and set up winning the pot on the flop. Let's just say that this probably won't work because this table is going to force you to showdown a hand.

This thread originated Here

Well, how'd I do on the hand?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:31 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Cold Calling Twice In One Hand (cross post)

there are many better opportunities than this. however terrible your opponents are, they still get dealt cards just like you. if anybody has AT/TT or higher you are not in good shape. fold preflop.

once you called, i think you played the hand fine given your opponents.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:54 AM

Astro, FWIW, not one of the posters who responded in the heads up short handed forum thought folding PF to be a very reasonable option.

I think folding here is giving up too much, given the nature of the table and the amount of money already in the pot, and the fact I'm on the button.

Otherwise, it is reassuring to hear you think my play postflop was reasonable.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:45 AM

well...if UTG raises, fold A9's, thats no hand to play! ok...its internet, so it might be reasonable!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

well, i don't play in 6max games, but i do know that if mp openraised in a full game and the co called, i would not call here. i don't see a terrible difference between the two situations considering the level of aggression already present at the full 15 games.