Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Switching gears..

I could use some pointers on how to handle a situation that comes up a lot.

Let's say I have two Highcards, fairly early position and raise. I get 3 or 4 people with me to the flop.
The flop misses, although it is uncoordinated all I have is two overcards. Checks to me, I bet out everyone calls me.

Turn comes, still nothing I can use.

Now what? Heads up I would bet again but 3 or 4 people aint folding at this point. Should I just cool down and check? I have to fold to a bet then right? Otherwise I might aswell have bet myself.

k
Old 04-10-2004, 07:19 AM

Location: If i\'m wrong don\'t be nice, rip me a new a$$hole so i don\'t make the same mistake twice!
Default Re: Switching gears..

Here are a few questions to ask yourself when in these situations...

How dangerous is the board? (Flush draw, straight draw, paired, higher card like a 9, T or jack on the board)

Which affects: How clean are my outs?

How much is in the pot?

If i bet what is the likelyhood that someone(s) will fold?

If i bet what is the likelyhood that i'll get raised?

If i bet what is the likelyhood that i'll get a free card/showdown?

If i bet what is the likelyhood that i'll get the button (don't place too much importance on this though)

What are these guys calling with???? Would they have checked anyway?

If i hit my card will i get paid off?

Check out this thread it has some great info and explains things alot better than i can.

Fav threads
Old 04-10-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Check-fold the turn

It's simple. With this many callers in a loose game, you're done if anyone bets here.

Forget about trying to figure out the texture of the board, forget about trying to guess what these leeches are in there with against you. If you've got 3-4 opponents hanging onto you on the turn and you still haven't made a pair, you're in trouble. And in a loose game (which is nearly always the case at the micro-limits), it's very possible your big cards aren't clean outs anyway - too often one of your opponents will have limped big-little off, made a small pair on the flop, and hurt you with two pair when your big card comes on the river. I know some on this forum will cry out that this approach is too meek and passive, but they're wrong. These games are classic schooling situations and must be played as such if you want to show a profit.

For a good view of this topic, albeit at higher limits than those you're probably playing, check out Bob Ciaffone's essay, "How Many Enemy," from his book "Improve Your Poker." The rest of the book is excellent too.