Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 12:23 AM

Default J4 offsuit, did I play this right.

Last week I was sitting in a 10-20 game at the Borgota when a very nice hand arised, I'm in the BB with J4o.

UTG limps but he's sloppy, he flashed me one of his cards a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He was busy eating his salad, and he couldn't take a break off from the time game, because dammit he'd lose his seat, and also, he wouldn't get to play!

He limps in. Followed by 1 other limper and the SB, I let it go.

The flop is A J 9.

I check, but UTG bets out. I immediately put him on A7s, folded around to me, and I couldn't let my hand go, because I know exactly what his cards are. The turn card came off a King.

He's muching on his salad, I check and he bets, I check raise. He pouts makes like he's ready to fold but decides against his own instincts and calls but I can tell he doesn't like the call he just made. He's a young kid, he's striving to play well and hell why not give 10-20 a try. Plus he's eating a salad, who wants to bother him.

I don't like his call but I can tell that he's not calling the river unless he improves, but I don't care what is coming on the river I have to bet it and I have to bet it like I got it unless of course an Ace comes or a 7.

The river is the best Card in the deck for me to give me the most leverage for my previous play on this hand its a Queen. I toss four chips. He nods his head mucks his hand and he says to me, "Nice hand."

I said, "Thank you."

He went to muck his hand but both cards flipped up. A7s. I told you he was sloppy.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Thinking about it now, I guess I'm lucky. I'm lucky he wasn't a stubborn player to call the river.

Now that I think about it, If the first card I saw had not been the 7 but the Ace instead and he limped in. I think I would have check folded this flop. Is this flawed thinking?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: J4 offsuit, did I play this right.

well, if u actually do put him on A7, i think ur play was horrible! the only 2 ways u can win this game is if u make 2 pair or you bluff him out...and making somebody laydown top pair is not an easy thing to do, i would throw away hands like that in the future!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:25 AM

This hand was played badly from your first misuse of the english language through to the words "flawed thinking?"

You saw his cards. Ok. So you should play accordingly.

Ok, you flopped middle pair. You checked, and he bet. You put him on A7, despite the fact that he would have to hold one of the last three aces in the deck. Which is not that out of line I suppose, you were there, and he did bet the flop. But knowing (so you say) that you are against a better hand and have roughtly 5 outs to win in a 2.5 big bet pot, you better fold here.

But you checkraised. Ok, maybe you thought you could make a play on this fella. But:

[ QUOTE ]

He's a young kid, he's striving to play well and hell why not give 10-20 a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's not letting go of an ace unless the board gets horrid. And you bet again on the turn with no improvement, a bet that will very likely be called.

So: You checkraised with a hand you knew was beat, in a pot way too small for the number of outs you thought you had, against a player that is not likely to let go of a hand.

One last comment:

[ QUOTE ]

Now that I think about it, If the first card I saw had not been the 7 but the Ace instead and he limped in. I think I would have check folded this flop. Is this flawed thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

But:

[ QUOTE ]

I immediately put him on A7s, folded around to me, and I couldn't let my hand go, because I know exactly what his cards are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it? Trust your read. Act accordingly. Fold the flop.

At least you got the river right.

-Diplomat
Old 04-10-2004, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I immediately put him on A7s, folded around to me, and I couldn't let my hand go, because I know exactly what his cards are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't quite make sense. Knowing exactly what your opponent has and knowing it beats you is a great reason to fold your hand, not play on. I didn't see anything in your post that made it sound like this kid was going to fold top pair that easily.

SpaceAce
Old 04-10-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Thoughts

I think everyone who responded here was correct in that I should have folded on the flop. But I just couldn't help myself.

But I think by just seeing his cards it made me try to outplay him. I should have let it go but...
1)he was eating a salad
2)he was distracted
3)I had over $1400 in chips on the table.
4)I knew exactly what his cards were.

I thought it was time to make a play at him. I think because he only had 1 pair with his crappy kicker.
The board was scary which gave me more leverage.

Thinking about it now, unless I knew my opponent very well I should have just dropped it on the flop. I got greedy and this time it panned out.

If I could do it again......... I think I'd do it the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Sometimes I just can't help myself.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Thoughts

man, what are u doing when a guy smokes a cigarette, or even a cigar? or when his butt itches.... just dont try to bluff people out of a pot because u think they r distracted and u think u know what they r holding!
btw, i think he folded pocket 7's or J7...u guys were heads up, noway that he would fold top pair!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:33 AM

"btw, i think he folded pocket 7's or J7...u guys were heads up, noway that he would fold top pair!"

When the board has A K Q J on the river, yes way. . .

Mikey, check fold the flop. Like the old no-limit concept that I heard somehwere - If you get an acurate read that someone ahs a better hand than you, lay your hand down instead of using the read to try and move them off their hand. "If I could do it again......... I think I'd do it the same way. . " Then you will be in rough shape until you get over the fps.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:07 PM

What kind of a nerd eats a salad at a poker table ?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 AM

Mikey- SpaceAce says it all. If you belive you are behind to an Ace on the flop and you have a Jack/no kicker, why would you even continue? Very bizarre IMO.

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

What kind of a nerd eats a salad at a poker table ?

post of the year.