Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 11:47 PM

Default I want to raise but should I?

Table is pretty normal mix of aggressive, weak, and just terrible players. Player in question is a rather weak player or so it has seemed in the 2 hours I have played at this table.

I have 10-10 UTG and raise. Folded to BB who calls. This could mean any hand with a connector or 2 high cards, he would probably only 3 bet with QQ-AA.

Flop is 10-9-8 suits unimportant. check bet call. Turn is a 7, check bet just a call.

River is an A he bets, I want to raise so bad but just call is this to weak or wise? I really felt he would check raise a J but not a 6.

Comments and reasons appreciated.

Swiss Cheese

Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: I want to raise but should I? Results

I just call and he turns over AK and I take the pot. I feel as though a J he check raises the turn so I have 1 hand to worry about, a low straight. I am feeling as though I also may have just called too quick on river and not thought it through.

Swiss Cheese
Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: I want to raise but should I?

well it's pretty easy to fold to a 3bet isn't it? if not, just call.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 AM

well it's pretty easy to fold to a 3bet isn't it? if not, just call.

why raise then? you risk 2 for 1 extra but can lose three? and who is to say he calls the raise?

Swiss Cheese
Old 04-08-2004, 12:58 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

why raise then?

you raise if he'll bet and call a raise back with a worse hand. many people will. i think it's an easy fold to a 3bet, as the prospect of a jack should scare him as much as it scares you. people generally don't 3bet bluff the river.

you risk 2 for 1 extra but can lose three?

how do you lose 3 if you fold to a reraise? i think my post was clear enough. if you can fold to a 3bet, a raise is appropriate. if you cannot, a call is appropriate.

who is to say he calls the raise?

that is a dumb question. who is to say ANYBODY will do ANYTHING? i can't consider the likelihood of your specific opponent because i wasn't playing him, but i can speak in general when i say that many people will call with worse hands. you're asking if you have a raise, i'm saying that you do unless you can't let go to a 3bet, and you're getting all bizarre about it. it's a pretty simple hand.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:09 AM

I am then giving my thoughts back...sorry for any trouble I may have caused you in responding, but I sure wish some day I could have your cheerful disposition.

Swiss Cheese
Old 04-08-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: I want to raise but should I? Results

I agree with Astroglide sans the negativity.

On the River, assuming you don't call a 3-bet, you're not risking 2 bets to win 1 as you state because you're going to call 1 bet no matter what. So you're risking 1 bet (the raise) to win his 1 bet (his call of your raise).
My initial read for his hand was 2 pair. That's plenty hand for a lot of players to call your raise.

He won the River battle because you allowed him to use the insulation play (he lead bet a scary board with a medium strength hand).

If he was a good player who thought on many levels and he thought you a good player, I might play it differently. But that's not the case here.

Like Astroglide said: river 3-bet bluffs are rare.

Regards,
Jamie