Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 01:50 PM

Default A specific QJs hand

This kind of goes along with the other QJs threads floating around right now, but I didn't want to hijack another thread with my hand.

I guess my general question is, did I play this well, or did I overplay it and just get lucky?

Should I have gone for the free card on the turn, or was my draw strong enough to pump up the pot?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

River: (23 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 31 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Kc Jh (one pair, kings).
Hero shows Js Qs (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 31 BB. </font>
Old 04-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: A specific QJs hand

I like it, stay aggressive.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM

i was iffy about the flop raise, but then looked at your preflop again and figured that these players wouldn't mind calling two bets so i like it, you don't want to be knocking people out of the pot in this hand...nh
Old 04-06-2004, 03:55 PM

I probably would not have raised PF, but can see why you might. From that point forward, you played it perfectly.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't have raised it preflop with 3 limpers already in. First in I would raise it every time.

Normally I also wouldn't have raised the flop (but would have reraised if it had been raised after I called - especially if the raise came from my immediate left), but, as has been said, looking at how they all called the preflop raise the flop raise is fine.

The turn is fine. If UTG+2 had bet out on the turn a raise would have been a mistake at that point.

Nice river card.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:14 PM

Often a flop raise with similar hands will increase your winning chances. For example, if you had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the board was J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a raise could help you win if it forced someone to fold a hand like KT or A8 and you eventually paired your hand but never made your flush. For that reason I usually advocate raising.

In this case I think the flop bet indicates a king and that it's probably flush or bust. And if there is no king you have a good kicker if you make a pair. So it seems very unlikely that you will win because you raised.

For that reason I might just call the flop to encourage overcalls while minimizing my own expenditure. It's close. Since you got so many callers anyway you probably did the right thing.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:40 PM

Looks like this was pretty loose, so I like the preflop raise. I like your play.

My question is "What is UTG+2 doing?" He bets flop with TP decent kicker and gets raised immediately to his left. Great make other drawing hands pay. The turn is garbage and he check raises, rather than forcing the other hands to call two bets cold. He can't be happy with 5 players going to the river. Then the flush hits and he allows it to cap. What a fish!