Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2004, 04:16 AM

Default Re: what\'s your poker wisdom?

You can't win if you don't stay in.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 AM

let's say you always go all in for $100 pre-flop every time you catch AA

you catch AA 4x3 in 52x51 hands, = 12 in 2652, = 1 in 221 hands

to receive AA 100 times you need to play 22,100 hands

if blinds are 2-4 you pay 22,100/10 x 6 = 13,260 total blinds

let's say one player always calls your every all in

you win 85 times out of 100 with AA

so you win 8500 and lose 1500 = 7,000

blinds paid less winnings = 13,260 - 7000 = -6,260

per hand played = -6,260/22,100

loss = 28 cents per hand played

add in similar calculations for KK, QQ, etc, plus some return of blinds in won hands, and as long as you continue to play against players who don't notice that every time you go all in you turn over a pair of Aces, etc, then, in theory, it looks like you could follow this strategy

the bad news is that it is all theory

games like this don't exist in reality

so you have to start adding in some lesser hands to hide your strategy

and some bluffs

and guess what?

eventually you find that you have to get back to having to play poker with proper strategy to win at the game!

e&oe
Old 04-02-2004, 11:37 AM

I have to bow down to you on that one, Monty. That was one of the smoothest/funniest things I've ever read on 2+2. Well done.

For the record... *know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 02:28 PM

i agree. this is a very good idea / approach. I have done similar when at one point I was playing poorly. Now i am too stuck up to do it, but deep down, i know i am not that good. so i might start counting mistakes again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

very good one
Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 PM

"There are a few things that are so unpardonably neglected in our country as poker....Why, I have known clergymen, good men, kindhearted, liberal, sincere, and all that, who did not know the meaning of a "flush." It is enough to make one ashamed of one's species."

~Mark Twain
Old 04-02-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Frank Bank

Hey Beav,

Did you know that one of the actors from the "Leave It To Beaver" TV show, Frank Bank is a competitive poker player?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 PM

some people say my advice sucks and that may very well be. there are some very good players on this forum and i hope to never be at the same table as any of them. (except mason so i can make fun of him later)
Old 04-04-2004, 12:07 AM

Location: If i\'m wrong don\'t be nice, rip me a new a$$hole so i don\'t make the same mistake twice!

Even a maniac gets dealt AA from time to time
Old 04-04-2004, 07:51 PM

Monty's idea is tremendous. I'm going to start doing that also because I know I do it a few times a session, sometimes a lot a session and I know I need to stop, but I get (insert emotion here) and want to play. Very good stuff monty for all the reasons astro mentioned.

One of the guys I used to play with a lot would often say "there are no bad cards, only bad flops" which was pretty amusing I thought due to its relative truth. We all know that any 2 don't win enough to show long term profit, but it sure is what guides someone with 83s to call a raise PF to see if their suit comes.

For these boards in particular, my one piece of advice is this... if the poster's advice is worded in an arrogant, obnoxious and/or demeaning way, don't automatically dismiss it because the poster is an ass. Some of the best players/posters on this forum rarely post another way and while it may bruise the ego a bit to have them mock you, read the advice and consider its merits, many of it is really good.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:41 AM

Default Poker is not a game of perfect

Okay, I'm ripping off Bob Rotella. Best poker book I ever read (other than HEFAP) is Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect. When you're engaged in an endeavor with high variance in results, you can't let negative results worsen your process for subsequent events (shots in golf, hands in poker).

Be process-oriented, not results-oriented. You control your own mindset, decide (and practice) having a positive mindset, and be committed to having good process on the current/next hand regardless of what just transpired...

...at least that's what I keep telling myself after getting Rivered a couple of times in a row... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]