Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Getting re-raised by Big Blind, then calling him down with just an Ace

I don't raise any ace from the button. And my reason is that you have 2 cards. Lets put it this way if the dealer only gave you one card and it was an Ace, would you play it the same way from the button? If not what is the difference?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Getting re-raised by Big Blind, then calling him down with just an Ace

sure you have two cards, but with just the Ace alone, you are going to be a favorite over the blinds. The deuce or other long card kicker may also help you out too, becuase you are allowed to make pairs with those cards too...as well as make wheels. On average, you will be ahead preflop...plus you get the added benefit of having position on every round and being the aggressor, which is a benefit for those that know how to use it correctly.

Now alot of people will take the Ax, raise, bet the flop and just keep on betting. That's not right either. Of course its necessary to play the hand correctly later on.

What would you do with A2 on the button when the first two players have folded? Would you limp in or would you fold. Neither of those options make much sense to me, but I'm sure you have a good reason, and I'd like to read it (I'm not being condescending with that comment, I would seriously like to read your reason for either calling or folding with A2)
Old 03-31-2004, 11:27 PM

Can I be a member? I have been thinking about the raise any A if folded too on the button, and this post has made up my mind. Most the jokers that play at one two are horrible post-flop, so it makes things a lot easier. If you'll have me, I would consider it an honer to be counted among your ranks... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Catch-
Old 03-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Well my reason is simply put I can't play it well post flop. Lets say I'm at a passive table, and I raise it and get 2 callers most of the time. I'm not happy and its ammo I'd be better to use on stronger holdings.

Lets now say same passive table and you get reraised like in this post. You'd better have good spyder sense to play it now.

Ok lets take a tight agreesive table. You raise and you get reraised. You'd be wise to fold the flop 9/10 times.

Now, I will raise sometimes, and I don't think it is a mistake to raise it everytime. I just wouldn't play because I can't win money on it.

And there is of course the times when you think you can get the blinds for free. Even sometimes you know that if you don't get the blinds preflop you can get em on the flop. And well siht when I can do that it doesn't matter what I have.

Besides your raise there says I have an Ace. And I rather not let people know what I have. In a HU match I rarely raise A high everyone does that.

As a disclaimer, the pasivity of the sites I'm use to playing on may be the whole reason for not bringing in A2o for a raise. The aggresiveness and foolishness of Party may dictate raising, I'm undecided.

As for making a wheel, yeah, I can make the dummy end of a str8. That was meant to be sarcastic. Sorry, I really hate A2.

As far as being ahead preflop if you are ahead it is very slightly.

Posittion - well you got me there.
Being the aggressor - got me there too.
Disguising real hands - A2 is good for that too.

So lots of reasons to raise. I'm breaking my wrist winging those cards away from me 80-95% of the time. Becuase I like to be wrongly catogorized as weak-tight.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 PM

I am definately a memeber of this club when im playing 1/2, but i will sometimes wimp out when i play 5/10. This is a perfect example of one of my reasons that im planning on going back to 1/2 for a while.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:28 AM

thanks for your comments.

but I still am not sure if you think calling or folding is correct. and the justification for either. you have mentioned the reasons you don't like raising, and although I don't agree in general, I think you bring up some decent points. But you have not mentioned why calling or folding would be better.

I see raising with any Ace in this spot as a small positive expectancy move. Nothing major...stands to lose some of the time, but win small overall. But folding I think is a tiny loser, and calling I think is a slightly bigger loser...mainly because it lets the SB in for 5-1 odds.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:15 AM

I am winning 0,76BB/hand, raising A5o-A2o first in from button. If I include A5s-A2s my stats are about the same (0,71BB/h).

Raising A5o-A2o first in from button stands for 2% of my total earnings at 5/10, 6max Party Poker.

If I play multiple tables, 50h/month, I would lose $900/year not playing these hands.