Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Party .50/1.00 Winning % Stats

I was going over a few things in Poker Tracker today and got to thinking about the Win % column. Does anyone pay any attention to that number (the overall number is the one I am referring to now, I have always paid attention to individual hands).

What number would you shoot for when dealing with overall Win %, or do you just ignore it and go by bottom line?

Thanks,

Gojacketz
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Party .50/1.00 Winning % Stats

Good question. Mine is 60%. I think anywhere from 40%-60% is where you want to be for .5/1 party.

I do not use it in player notes anymore because I realized it's a completely useless stat to keep on someone. "This guy won 20% of showdowns", that means nothing over 200 hands with him because he may have only seen 5 showdowns.

The Won at SD stat is directly related to the VP$IP, Fold to river bet, and Went to SD stats, all which I all find more far more useful.

My VPIP is 14.6, which is extremely low. This affects the Went to SD and Won at SD stats because I'm usually going to the showdown with good hands. If your VPIP stats are higher, you will probably be seeing and losing a larger percentage of showdowns (but you will also be getting a larger number of won showdowns over X amount of hands).
Old 03-31-2004, 10:20 PM

illunious,

I assume you are referring to the winning at showdown stats. Mine are right at 60% also, and of course the stat goes higher from .50/1.00 to 1/2 and 2/4.

I was not clear in my post, but I am referring to the actual winning percentage of all hands dealt. Mine is hovering around 7% for .50/1.00 right now, and that seems pretty low. It is around 8.5 for $1/$2 and $2/$4, which makes sense.

Gojacketz
Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM

Ahh, yes, it was clear in your post. I incorrectly assumed you were refering to the Won at SD stat.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

this isn't a meaningful stat. if you are aggressive you'll win slightly more pots by getting people to fold, or if you play more hands up front, you'll also win more hands. but in general there's no correlation between win% and ability. the people who win the most pots generally lose the most money
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was not clear in my post, but I am referring to the actual winning percentage of all hands dealt. Mine is hovering around 7% for .50/1.00 right now, and that seems pretty low. It is around 8.5 for $1/$2 and $2/$4, which makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
My number for 0.5/1 is currently 6.87%.

It is to be expected that win rates will be substantially lower for 0.5/1 than for higher games. Your opponents' loose play costs you pots. Every time someone pays a dollar for a 5% chance to suck out your $10 pot, your profits go up and your winning percentage goes down.

The loosest players are the ones who win the most pots because they lose the fewest pots by folding. This is why poker works. The fish pay for the thrill of winning a lot of pots. That's a major reason they continue to play.

I don't think winning percentage is very useful for analyzing good players. With a beginner I would say that an overly high number--near to or above 10%--is diagnostic of loose play.

For a good player the statistic will be influenced primarily by three factors: his opposition, his willingness to play with significantly less than 10 players, and his willingness to gamble.

By gambling I mean playing hands that have nearly zero EV or taking the more aggressive choice between two plays that have nearly equal EV. In short, high variance play increases win percentage.