Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2004, 03:53 AM

Default but

if sb has read hpfap he's betting into the field with some pretty strage stuff like guthsots, bottom pair overcard kicker, etc.

and if he's like most online 20-40 player he isnt thinking about anything at all except: "me have pair. me bet." or "me have draw. me bet."
Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Are you saying I should have folded on the flop?

Are you saying I should have folded on the flop when the SB bets into 4 others and I hold top pair? I think that is weak.

I like my flop raise, but after UTG calls 2 cold and then raises my turn bet, I agree I should have folded. I still like the way I played the hand before that, as UTG could have been on a flush draw on the flop. Once he raises the turn, I am most likely beat and should have folded.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: YOU SHOULD HAVE FOLDED INSTANTLY

Mr. Sklansky,
Are the number of opponents behind you left to act the compelling reason to fold, or is it being bet into with the mediocre holding? We had a very similar hand come up at a Borgata tournament 2 weeks ago, with only 3 people in the hand, but I told my friend (who was UTG), that he should have folded when the BB bet into him (SB had folded pre-flop) w/ one player left act behind him. He held A9 off with a flop of 984 2 clubs. As it turns out BB held 98 and the button held QK clubs and he lost to a flush on the river(and was trailing the 98 all the way). Would folding the flop have been correct here?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Are you saying I should have folded on the flop?

Are you saying I should have folded on the flop?

that's exactly what he is saying.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Are you saying I should have folded on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying I should have folded on the flop when the SB bets into 4 others and I hold top pair? I think that is weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, fold to the flop bet. Top pair, weak kicker is the most expensive hand in holdem. Particularly when you're out of position and there are 5 to the flop. And it doesn't help that there's a flush draw out.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 PM

Default it\'s a bit irritating when...

...somebody of high influence/standing on these boards post, and then suddenly EVERYONE ELSE instantly changes their opinion to be in line with said person.

I'm not saying Sklansky is wrong here, and I am certainly not qualified to comment on the play of this hand (the mechanics of 20/40 are way beyond my capabilities). However, Before DS posted, not a single person suggested folding to the flop bet. If you're going to have an opinion, make it your own. Don't just wait for one of the big-time players to post and then regurgitate what he or she says.

Excuse the brief rant,

Gravy
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Re: $20-$40 hand

<font color="blue">BUMP </font>
Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Re: YOU SHOULD HAVE FOLDED INSTANTLY

yes.

this fold is directly out of HPFAP:

"Most players make many of their calling decisions based on the size of the pot cmapared to the current bet. This is called pot odds. while this does give an indication of what is corect, pot odds should be adjusted based on the expected future action of your opponents. For example, if the bettor is to your right and there are other players who might raise behind you, you should adjust the pot odds considerably lower. this means you have to fold more hands."[HPFAP p.80]

he goes on to say that if a flush and straight draws are on board and you have top pair weak kicker you should fold because of the combined probabilities of being beat right now and having to pay more money when you're behind to see the river (reverse implied odds) since there are many cards that can come to beat you.

-Barron
Old 05-19-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: but

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] "Me like Poker" "Me win money"

too funny
Old 05-19-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: $20-$40 hand

[ QUOTE ]
it appears small blind flopped a monster, but not the quality of monster that warrants slowplaying (a set of 7's or 2's would be a great candidate). Perhaps J7 suited or J7 offsuit for two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz think that everytime I just lead off on the flop in the SB I have one of the above hands. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]