Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Default home game difficulties. No-Limit Hold em

I am having a hard time agaisnt the weaker players in my weekly home game. We play $20 table limit, with .25-.50 antes. On a typical night we have around 7 players. 3 of the players are solid(calculate pot odds, know percentages, play stronger hands), 2 players are reakless( will call $3-$4 raises with almost any suited hold cards, KXo, and AXo) and 2 players are inbetween. My issue is with these reakless players, since they play so loose I am unable to put them on hands very often. They chase any and all draws, including backdoors. Recently one of the loose players has began to try and "help me" with me shortcommings. Saying that math does not apply and I worry too much about the odds. I know this is insane, however last night we played for 12hours str8..and my "tutor" ended up taking home the majority of the cash. example of play another loose player goes all in with AA, the tutor calls witrh JJ. Everyone at the table knew player#1 had AA, including the tutor however he figured he could get lucky and hit a jack...well guess what the river brough..a jack!
3 handed, the button folds, I'm in the sb with K/Jo and raise it $4...i am determined not to give him a free flop and let his "luck beat me." He calls with 9/5s, the flop is Q,blank,5...I bet $4 and he calls, the turn is a 9(two pair!!?!?!?!) I bet $5 and he raises it to $10, I call as he is a bluffer...the river is a K. He bets $7 and I call. UGH!
The final hand for me is my K5s vs. his QQ..the flop is K,J,5...I check to him and he beats $5...I go all in for $30...he says to me..i know you have me beat right now..but i want the chance to take you out..and he calls! THe turn is a Queen! the river is a blank.
I usually just tighten up and play only strong hands, however these is pretty rough to do agaisnt your friends, as they taught you all night for being "too tight"

HELP!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Re: home game difficulties. No-Limit Hold em

I dont see what you're complaining about. Sounds like a great game that you will make a lot of money in as long as you keep playing in the future. And the fact that you're main gripe is with the bad players who chase anything is ass backwards and I think you realize that. I think you already know that this is totally illogical and NOT a valid complaint. Keep these players happy and keep them coming back, they are the ones you should relish playing against.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:55 PM

sounds like a good game...you might try to seat yourself to the loose players left so that you can act after him and isolate him with your premium hands...also remember that this kind of player will lose in the long run and you will reap the benefits, but when a maniac gets on a run it is usually a big one...good luck...
Old 03-29-2004, 01:13 AM

thanks for the help, I guess it was just his night last night...frustrated me to no end. I do find it almost impossbile to bluff out these kind of loose mainiac players..is it wise to limit bluffing agaisnt them?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do find it almost impossbile to bluff out these kind of loose mainiac players..is it wise to limit bluffing agaisnt them?

[/ QUOTE ]

ABSOLUTELY!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:27 AM

definitely remove most bluffing...
think of it this way...
when you bluff you want the other player to fold, so would you ever bluff someone that you know will call you?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: home game difficulties. MY rant

(it's my first time posting at this forum).
I've been a magician for three years and about half a year ago i decided to get into poker seriously, since I've been playing cards/handling cards all my life.
So I go out and buy a book and learn the basic strategies for winning at limit holdem.
Now I suggest to my friends that we should have a weekly poker game! Everyone gets into it and starts playing. What seems wrong to me is that I'm the only one with the strategy-knowledge and yet I'm the only one that hasn't come out on top in most of our home games. Is it just me or does it make no sense if only one person is playing with a good strategy and everyone else is just limping in with nothing all the time?
I know that I should be playing 1 good hand every hour or so, and that the object is to win in the longrun, not about winning the most pots. But it kills me inside when i see people calling, betting, and even raising when all they have is a really low pair or something like J-5o. AND THEY WIN! I mean it's ok to bluff, but doing it all the time is just dumb. It's more the maniacs and the fish that take home the $$ at the end of the night than me. "Your aim is to win in the longrun"..."You're trying to do well in the longrun"
Fair enough...but how long is a long run??
Should there be a specific strategy to playing against all players like this? Because eventually if I just keep playing with an understanding of starting hands and folding everything that isn't the best, or worth calling, I'm going to be losing more money just because I'm paying big and small blind all the time.

I hope this makes sense to you guys, maybe some of you have felt this way too. Anyway, get back to me if you can. I would really appreciate it. (Or email me at grael_@hotmail.com)

Thanks again for reading this,
Old 03-29-2004, 11:36 PM

Two extremely important questions, if the answer to either is yes then you should expect to lose:

1. Are you playing shorthanded, this means 6 players or less?

2. Did you read "Play Poker Like the Pros" by Phil Hellmuth Jr.?

If the answer to either of these is yes then I think I can help you out. If the answer to both of these is yes then I may have just saved your future sanity. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 AM

i don't know if this is true of your game, but many "social" home games are played short handed (less than 6 players) and require a much different strategy than a 10 handed game...Check out the Shorthanded Forum here, because a Loose Aggressive style may be much more suited to your particular game...good luck
Old 03-30-2004, 06:40 AM

They are not as weak as you thought they were. You need a winning strategy! Dont play by the book. Sandbag alot and slow play alot. Stop bluffing, you know they are going to call!

This may come as a shock, but I think your not as good as you may first think.

Your first priority is to beat the table not play "winning poker" and wonder why your not winning.

Adjust to the loose call stations, otherwise you'll go broke before they do.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]