Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 11:35 PM

Default J2, Brute?

$5-10 PLHE 6-handed. I am, shall we say, lubricated in all joints, tongue and brain and betting arm, ready to dance without music.

Four limpers to me in BB with J2. I check. Absolutely brilliant move I think to myself, grabbing my Sam Adams Light (don't knock it til you drink it, it's delicious).
Flop is JT2 twotone. Helllooooo kitty! I check to tighty limper to left who bets $30. The way he bets I know that he has AA or AJ. It just wasn't a QQ or KK or KJ bet. I am not kidding and don't know how I know that.

One caller to me. I make it $140. AA/J calls. Button goes all-in for $185 more. I know from the way he bets that he has two cards, and probably two pretty good ones. Decision time. Ok, call. Tighty calls. Pot is $1025 or thereabouts.

Turn is a blank 7. Damn. Gotta think here. After a lot of thinking compressed into a few foggy seconds, I bet $200. Tighty calls. He will call $400 on the river pretty much no matter what (ok, $300 if it's a flush card or if he has AA and it's a jack).

River's a ten. Check, check. Tighty's got AJ and takes the whole enchilada. Button says he had a draw. Button and I cash out.

Interesting arithmetic huh?

Matt
Old 03-25-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: J2, Brute?

I like it until the turn. The pot is big you have a vulnerable hand but know its ahead of tighty, I want to take it down here or get tighties money in. The only time I would consider to building a side pot here is if I knew I was beat by the player who was all-in.

Sam Adams Light? So many fine Samuel Adams brews and you opt for this one.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:57 AM

Just wanted to say how much I like the subject line. Even more, I like the fact that the first response was from Nero. Very classical.

Guy.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:40 AM

When the flop caller moves in it looks very much like a draw if this player wouldn´t have slowplayed a set or JT on this quite dangerous flop.

I would have been more concerned about tighty, but if you know this player very well and can put him on AA or AJ for sure I would have played this harder on turn to get him out. Of course you got unlucky but I would rather take tighty out of the pot with a bigger bet since the "all-in" probably has nothing yet. $200 into a $1000-pot looks rather weak and inviting to me.

Just my thoughts.

Krytemaster
Old 03-25-2004, 12:42 PM

Nero,

It was a numbers game. Main pot is $1,000 of which I have a certain equity based on odds all-in will win it.

My decision not to reraise on the flop was to allow tighty in to milk him.

On the turn, I have at most $1,000 in main pot equity. Tighty has at most 9 outs. So he's about 4:1 to win the side (and maybe the main). Tighty wouldn't call more than maybe $200 on the turn. $200 is not enough unless I know all-in has me beat (he is correct to call to draw against me unless all-in has two pair beat).

But, $500-600 is definitely enough, giving me higher EV than blowing tighty off the pot (Laying $1,500 vs. $500 if I've won the main and as little as $500:$500 if all-in has top set). It was knowing tighty's hand AND knowing that he'd call $300-400 on the river that made calling the flop and lowbetting the turn higher EV.

And then he hit and I wished I'd drank the whole sixpack 'cause then I'da taken the $1,000 down.

There's a moral in there somewhere.

Matt

P.S. Take "Light" off the label and that Sam tastes better than the lager or summer ale. I like the Boston Ale better though.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:46 PM

If you did not fear tighty had JT, then I think you should have went all-in when the all-in raiser reraised you. To get the (side) pot right there would be a victory.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And then he hit and I wished I'd drank the whole sixpack 'cause then I'da taken the $1,000 down.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey matt, I think the moral is you should stick to bourbon (I recommend maker's mark) while playing big bet. two maker's on the rocks and you'd have splashed the pot with your 3rd one on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--turnipmonster
Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 PM

by not re-raising on the flop didnt you make tighties call correct?

btw, all sam adams is shiatt, but then again im a beer snob...chimay please.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:24 PM

Chimay is an authentic Trappist beer brewed at Scourmont Abbey in southern Belgium.

Can you get this in California?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:54 PM

ahhh yes...i get the corked pints at cobras & matadors on beverly blvd. i've heard tale that it is on tap at a little pub in pasadena at the corner of fair oaks & colorado...although im not sure this is possible and my source was drunk when he told me this...

3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

3 best cigars:

1. TTT Trinidad (with a lynchburg lemonade)
2. Cohiba siglo III (w/ a fresh sugar cane mojito)
3. Padron anniversario torpedo (w/ fresh lime porfidio margarita)

cheapskate choice: R&J cedros #2 w/ A CHIMAY OF COURSE!

sorry if this is wayyy over the head of you mineeesooodians. try a pack of marlboros and a bud.