Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Cutting a deal

Well, I can't say I object to chopping really. I just realized that I was costing myself a little EV by agreeing to chop here, but the variation was going to be monsterous if i didn't. I don't think I would have had a problem saying "I never chop" right there, but to say I wouldn't take the chop then re-offer it 2 hands later as I was about to take the blind would a) make me feel/look like a jerk and b) quite possibly be refused.

Perhaps I spend too much time worrying about (a), but that's kind of how I am.

How would you feel about a player that refused a chop on the button, than asked for one when it got back to his blind?

Now, the point of refusing of course is the not insignificant chance that someone will go out in the next 2 hands. If I knew that I would get no chop 4 handed if I didn't take it here, should that effect my decision?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you feel about a player that refused a chop on the button, than asked for one when it got back to his blind?

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the players in this tourney wouldn't know the difference between being on the button and being in the BB. They would know, however, that just a few minuets ago you said that you didn't want to chop, you A-hole, so I'm not chopping now you sonofabitch.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:09 PM

I don't play poker to make friends, and even if I did I don't think it would help me in the long run. Every person I've played with would probably take my last dime if they had the chance, regardless of how nice of a guy I'd been.

If the deal doesn't seem favorable to you, don't accept it. If other people don't like it, they're probably the same people that don't like when they get check-raised, think that dealers have it out for them and deal them terrible cards on purpose, etc.

I would only make a deal when I was the chip leader b/c of the tendancy to short the small stacks, or if it was a tournament like the WSOP main event where the difference between 1st and 2nd was more than I'd make in the next 10 years.

I think in the situation you describe you probably gave up a few hundred bucks to be the nice guy and make everyone happy. Only you know whether that sort of thing is worth it or not.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:56 AM

I'd take the chop every time, $40 -> $2000 is great, I'd much rather that than have AA crack me out 4th for $800.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Most bizarre deal ever...

... is outlined in my post that's currently on the next page called 'Station Poker Classic trip report'. With 6 left, we guaranteed the chip leader 27K of a 37K 1st prize, leaving the other 10K to go to whoever took first. Since 2nd was paying around 22K, the chip leader COULD NOT LOSE.

Bizzare, you have to understand the circumstances to know why I'd agree to give the chip leader so much. Just happened last weekend.

Regards,
all_aces
Old 03-25-2004, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take the chop every time, $40 -> $2000 is great, I'd much rather that than have AA crack me out 4th for $800.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be picky, I rebought once and added on so it's actually $120->$2000.

However, I don't think that's the right way to think about it. It doesn't really matter whether I bought in for $1 or $1000, the question is "what gets me the most money".
Old 03-26-2004, 07:59 AM

You are too serious a poker player to worry about being a jerk for playing on. The reason you study the game so much is to take advantage of situations like these, and to not make deals with less skilled opponents.
Also you are not only in 2nd place, but you have two free hands, and good chances the BB busts or gets crippled on this hand.
btw even though the situation looks like a crapshoot, there are still many serious errors to be made by your opponents,the main example being that they would fold too much in the blinds with too great a % of their stack in the pot.