Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Keeping the game going

that doesn't sound unreasonable but maybe it angered some players that you were making money off of their losing nights?
Maybe you should charge a flat expense fee rather than a rake- that also might be better from a legal statepoint if your state says hosting poker is a "crime"
Old 03-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: I have got some people who could play

I am from the chicago area and many of us play here on the weekends. PM me with your game details and I will see if people want to play at your place.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Keeping the game going

I play in a great home game in another city twice a month. The problem the host has is too many players, not too few. I think his success has several ingredients: 1) Venue. It's a nice place to play. The condo is huge, high ceilings, big room for the poker game(s) and easy to get to 2) Players. He has a large client base and keeps the better guys coming back by guaranteeing two or three trout per game. The fish drink beer and get fairly ripped but keep coming back to take on the "pros." It's a remarkable thing to watch because in two years I have not seen any of them get any better. 3) Esthetics. 11.5 gram chip sets, Kem cards, table covers to make it easy to pick up the cards and he allows smoking, so the inveterate gamblers with endorphin control problems feel right at home. 4) The game always goes Friday nights, rain or shine.

It's a great game.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:32 AM

Default 3 Things have really Worked for our game

1. Limit 10 players - no matter who calls we only sit 10, the 10 with the most appearances per quarter has their seat reserved.
2. League setting- we score points on your finish. every 3 months there is a winner of additional money.
3. If you cancel the same day you still owe your seat. You must cancel 24 hours prior to our game. In order to fill the seat..

these 3 things make our players feel if they miss they are missing out and possibly may lose their seniority to sit.

PS WE PLAY EVERY WED NIGHT RAIN OR SHINE...

Hope this helps

Old 03-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 3 Things have really Worked for our game

"1. Limit 10 players - no matter who calls we only sit 10, the 10 with the most appearances per quarter has their seat reserved."
Doesn't this lock out players on a regular basis? This seat reservation thing- can you explain more about it?

"2. League setting- we score points on your finish. every 3 months there is a winner of additional money."
This is for tournaments only and that they kick in extra buy-ins to fund this?

"3. If you cancel the same day you still owe your seat. You must cancel 24 hours prior to our game. In order to fill the seat.."

Was there more to this sentence?