Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Blowing up Festus22\'s Head

No -not literally!

Am I thinking correctly?
With the exception of certain pot odds calling situations against already aggressive-this-hand players, can I basically play the flop/turn like this:

Choose whether or not to go to war on this hand. Fold most hands that miss (especially against many opponents), but come to life and attack bet/raise/reraise with any good hand (TP or better) or good draw. Even throw in some marginal hands if my opponents are wary of and folding to my aggression.
Don't slow down until I get clear indication that my opponent is not concerned with putting his money in against me .
Win the pots that don't help anybody much, plus those that hit me.

Is this the foundation of good thinking? or a maniacical plan?

What about Festus22? Oh, I've been studying his hands of the last 4 months (the weak-tight to aggressive transition). Uh oh, his head is getting bigger already! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Blowing up Festus22\'s Head

You had me freaked for a sec! Explosive expansion of one's cranial cavity cannot be a pleasant event.

I think in general, what you wrote is about right. Especially if your natural tendency is weak-tight like me. And start one street at a time. Make sure you're raising preflop enough. It took me a lot of hands to get comfortable raising A-Jo UTG most of the time or J-J out of the big blind. Just know when to let go if you whiff the flop. Next obviously comes aggressive flop play. Try to retain control of the hand. I think you generalized this well but remember to be flexible depending who you're against (and as an aside, take copious player notes. I was a slacker here until recently. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference knowing who you're up against).

I think only when you feel you have a solid game up to this point should you look to really turn up the heat on the turn and river. Mistakes can be expensive but so can lost bets when you have the best hand. But in general, if you been betting, keep betting. If someone bets into you after you've been betting, think about raising. I've found more often than not that bet is a "test" bet and if they really have a monster, they'll check-raise. But of course this is a "usually", not "always".

And one more thing that has only been mentioned here about 10,000 times, BET THE RIVER!

Good luck in your transformation. I know I'm not there yet but I also know I'm still in the best run I've ever had since becoming more aggressive. The proof is undeniable.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Blowing up Festus22\'s Head

I'm glad you don't consider my thinking maniacical - I was beginning to wonder about it. Aggressiveness seems to increase variance especially when the cards are cold.

How do you keep notes in .50/1 games where (except for the regulars) you come across brand new opponents all the time?