Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM

Default KJo - How\'d I play?

Typical 1/2 party table, loose and passive. Button is playing every hand. SB is seeing about half of the flops.

I was split on raising this hand or just seeing a flop, the blinds never folded to a raise, and the two EP players surely wouldn't fold for an extra bet. I probably would have raised a single EP limper.

Anyway, not quite sure if I should have played this differently, on the turn, I was pretty sure the button would be raising again, anyone like this play?

Didn't turn out how I would have liked.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, MP folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero calls, Button raises $3 (All-In), SB calls, Hero 3-bets, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qh Th (flush, queen high).
Hero shows Js Kc (straight, king high).
Button shows 8s 4s (high card, queen).
Outcome: SB wins 14.50 BB. </font>
Old 03-19-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: KJo - How\'d I play?

KJo in a multi-way pot, ugh. Probably too good to bin against this crowd, who will routinely call you down with 2nd-best hands when you hit TP. I really want to raise this, but 2 limpers and blinds coming along for the ride regardless then I think you almost have no choice but to limp and get out of any flop that doesn't fit you well. This is just the kind of hands you can limp in with at Party and do well with if your post-flop play is OK.

I would not have bet the flop, you are still drawing, and a board like this could easily pair up a K for 2-pair for the KT/K9/K8 etc. players. Nobody holding an 8 or J or 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is leaving now, neither are the A overcards so your bet achieves little. The raise from Button really hurts you now, but you feel obliged to call your 2 overcard/inside draw holding (maybe 1 SB with at least 2 or other callers).

Turn is a great card for you, and you have players now possibly drawing to lower straights and no-hopers, plus the flush of course. Your play worked out OK, but I would not wait for Button to raise it for me, raise SB immediately, Button will put his last chips in for sure, and you may a chance to cap if SB raises you back, it certainly looks like he has a Q and probably 2-pair, possibly/hopefully J8, which would be nice.

Call on the River - well you have to. If he had checked, definitely bet, you know he has the Q and will likely call it, he may also be too scared/passive to raise you with only the Q high flush.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Yea, KJo is a hand I need to work on, the bet on the flop was questionable, though I could have also caught an 8 to give me the J high straight, I will normally bet this against on a table, maybe get a free card on the turn if the button had folded.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Whoa...yes I missed the possibility of a lower straight, which makes the bet not so bad, esp. as your position is OK. From an odds perspective you need 3 callers to make the bet profitable (not taking into account the times you lose to the flush), as a free play move you still have to worry about what Button is going to do on both streets so you need to be pretty sure that Button just calls or folds.

With such a draw-rich board you probably can expect a few callers, but they could be drawing to similar or hold the cards you want. But OESD and 2 overcards is not a terrible position to be in but, here I think I would rather take the free card. If you do catch your straight card, it is very likely to improve someone elses hand as well, so you can take multiple bets on the Turn, so not betting and taking the free card will encourage your opponents to bet a hand that is worse than your straight.

The presence of the flush draw and the sequential board should mean your bet gets callers, but I think its the likelihood that a J or K gives you a 2nd-best hand that steers me away from betting the flop.

Would be interested to hear what others have to say.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 PM

looks good except i wouldnt rely on the button to raise on the turn. id put at least one of them on the flush draw and get it raised as much as possible. the rest looks fine.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 AM

I'd raise pf anyway. You might get the button and you might push out one or both of the blinds, it does happen sometimes even at 1/2. If I had the button I'd bet the flop to try to get to the river free. The way you played it I wouldn't bet the flop, but I'd call a bet if I got to close the action.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 AM

without looking at the rest of the post I'd raise this pre-flop with two limpers.