Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Omaha Danglers

Buzz,

You exactly wrote:

"But take away that suited king and I might pass on the hand"

Funnily enough, the use of the word pass made me to think that you meant pass [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know that you are well meaning and your maths advice is always great and has been a great help to me personally, but PLO is much less a starting hand game than limit O8b. The game is much more about position and stack sizes than ranking of hands - check out The Badger's article at PLO overview

You should be playing a comparatively huge number of hands, assuming you are a good player, in PLO, maybe as many as 35-40% including the blinds. In PLO hands can be good, or bad, but there are no GREAT hands. I wouldnt view any 4 card wrap hand as being especially worse than AA double suited because of all the other factors of flop play onwards.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The game is much more about position and stack sizes than ranking of hands - check out The Badger's article at PLO overview

[/ QUOTE ]

that is an interesting article. what do you suppose it means when he says

[ QUOTE ]

The Broadway straight is the #1 sucker hand of PLO where people get freerolled for all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's referring to playing the AKQJ hand, and I don't quite get what he means by the broadway straight being a sucker hand.

eric
Old 03-21-2004, 02:38 PM

In a tight or sophisticated game hitting a str8 on the flop is where good players take the money off weaker ones, because they will have the same hand but also a freeroll for a better one. This is more likely live than online where play is notoriously weak

gl

dd
Old 03-22-2004, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't quite get what he means by the broadway straight being a sucker hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric - I simply cannot resist responding as follows:

When you make a Broadway, for example with the

non-suited K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] as your hand and

T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] as the board after the turn,

an opponent who has the same Broadway but who also has a heart flush draw, for example with

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is free rolling you.

Any of the eight missing hearts on the river wins the hand for your opponent - otherwise you tie.

Buzz
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 AM

I'll pass on KQJT ns in early position in an Omaha/8 game, especially if the game is aggressive. I do not want to be putting in more than one bet out of position on a hand that I expect to be folding most of the time on the flop.

Unless KQJT has a suited King I treat it as an unsuited hand preflop.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:12 PM

This hand is a perfect exapmle of why the draw to the nut flush is far superior to any rainbow hand and even any hand with less than the nut flush redraw! While in the hand Buzz shows the K flush draw is to the nuts, I would prefer the suited A to a suited K anytime. In addition, In addition, if the board pairs, would you rather have the A or the K? Anyone who would rather play those draws to second nut hands than nut hands is more than welcome in my game any day [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]