Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: \"ha ha ha u loser\"

I had a variation on this, this morning. (I've been looking for an excuse to post this...)

In the SB, I complete with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB raises, we call.

Flop is X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Go me.

I checkraise the flop, when then BB bets.
I checkraise the turn, when the BB bets.
I checkraise the river, when the button bets.

I lose to the nut flush who played it a helluva lot better than I. BB says, "Three checkraises and you lose? Thanks El Sapo."

What can you say? I kind of agreed with his sarcasm here.

On a related note, it's really easy to check-raise three times when the other dude has the nuts.

El Sapo
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Do you really gain much from having chat on? I've been playing online for a year and I can remeber only one table chat that was funny/interesting/entertaining in that whole year. Most of the time it's just nh ty lol u suck bite me. I guess it might be useful to see who might be on tilt after being outdrawn for the third time but that's usually pretty obvious.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 PM

Thanks Chris LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also sometimes wonder why people will type "thanks" -- before anyone has said "nh" or whatever

[/ QUOTE ]
I've done that before accidentally. I'll win a hand and then see a "nh" in the chat box, so I'll type "ty." Then I'll notice that the "nh" had already been there (before the results from the most recent hand), and was apparently referring to the previous hand.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:41 PM

At the poker table, knowledge is power, and chat can be a powerful source of information that adds to the observant player's knowledge........
Old 03-18-2004, 11:22 PM

When people say NH are they referring to it being well played or just really high on the poker hierarchy?

Two days ago I had J9 diamonds and the flop came 8TQ all diamonds. I'm on the button and two people go all-in ahead of me (unfortunately they only had about $5 each). I think for a long long time and decide that maybe I should call. After calling and revealing the straight flush I got about 4 NHs from the table. Played itself as much as any hand possibly could.

Another hand I flopped quad aces. I got no action whatsoever and felt I had to check the river to induce a bluff to have any chance of getting more money (later one of the other players in the hand said he would have called a $.50 bet so I lost at most $1 checking). When the cards came out I got mixed reviews a few "nice hand"s, a vnh or two and a guy that said "what a waste" because I never raised and didn't bet out the river.

When I give a NH it's either to a fish that got lucky or to someone that played their hand well. Often this happens when someone says what they had and my hand was better but they outplayed me and got me to fold. I will also say something similar when somebody folds, says what they had and made a good laydown (especially if my cards were revealed in the showdown).
Old 03-19-2004, 01:09 AM

my experience is that a reasonably "knowledgeable" player will make the proper distinction between.....

NH = "PLEASE stay at this table, mr. feesh"

NP = Well played....I noticed

The problem with the NP is that any good player will then be alerted that anyone capable of making the distinction probably has more than a pulse going for them...

Soooooo.....I just generally shut my big mouth....

Why give out info you don't have to?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:55 AM

I love being at a table where there's a bit of chat going on. You can learn quite a bit about the other players, particularly if they start commenting about hands. I try to pay attention to anyone that makes educated comments and adjust my play accordingly. I also like to reinforce incorrect information/advice given on the table.