Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: ONE instance where he was ok

[ QUOTE ]
Hi scot,

[ QUOTE ]
at the wsop on tv this year he got busted out and stood up and stated sometthing like good luck in the tournament gentlemen and turned around and walked away. i thought to myself "alright phil that was classy your getting there." of course the very next scene was him with his head on his mommas shoulder looking very close to actually crying.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's wrong with crying on his mother's shoulder? He was really psyched for the WSOP this year, and he thought it was "his year" because he was playing really well.

But his QQ lost to Jason Lester's JJ, and the very next hand he caught AKs and that lost to a pocket pair. Just that fast -- on two good hands -- he was on the rail. If he wants to walk over and cry on his mother's shoulder, I certainly can't criticize him for that.

Yes, Phil has a much-deserved reputation for complaining about his bad beats, complaining when players talk at the table while he's trying to make a decision, etc. And he's the first to admit that this is a weakness that he needs to work on, and is working on.

I guess I'm imperfect enough that I don't get a big thrill out of seeing other people's weaknesses exposed. Then again, I don't watch Jerry Springer....

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to define classy as a grown man crying on his mothers shoulder on tv because he got knocked out of a card game(even if it was a bad beat) then by all means...im not a Phil hater by the way(although his antics get old i think hes good for poker)...but we are talking about CLASS here not how close someone is to thier mother
Old 03-17-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Phil has a much-deserved reputation for complaining about his bad beats,

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when people constantly complain about Bad Beats. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm imperfect enough that I don't get a big thrill out of seeing other people's weaknesses exposed. Then again, I don't watch Jerry Springer....

[/ QUOTE ]

The ironic thing about this brave stance is that it seems intended to display other peoples' weakness for exposing peoples' weakness.

I have no weaknesses.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you want to define classy as a grown man crying on his mothers shoulder on tv because he got knocked out of a card game(even if it was a bad beat) then by all means...

[/ QUOTE ]

A card game? I guess so, in the same sense that a Wimbledon finals match is just "a tennis game" to Andre Agassi.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:25 PM

Hi scot,

[ QUOTE ]
if you want to define classy as a grown man crying on his mothers shoulder on tv because he got knocked out of a card game(even if it was a bad beat) then by all means...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just don't see this as lacking class. I often see top athletes cry when they lose championship games. I once saw a very experienced computer programmer go outside to cry for a few minutes because he couldn't find a bug in the code. I've seen law students cry when they see exam grades posted, and lawyers cry when they lose a really big case.

I guess I just don't see anything "weak" or "not classy" about crying when you're disappointed. To me, it shows a lot more dignity than throwing chairs, punching walls, kicking the dog, etc. It admits the hurt in a way that doesn't threaten or inflict any hurt on anyone else.

*shrugs*

Cris
Old 03-17-2004, 04:32 PM

Hi Rushmore,

[ QUOTE ]
The ironic thing about this brave stance is that it seems intended to display other peoples' weakness for exposing peoples' weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly, as I wasn't passing judgment on anyone else. I'm simply saying that it brings me no pleasure to see people at their worst. I know a lot of people do enjoy that; that's why "reality TV" and similar genres are so popular. When I see people at their worst -- angry, spiteful, etc. -- I think of the many times I've done the same thing, and I just don't get any pleasure from that.

I also don't like liver, but that doesn't mean I'm passing judgment on those who do....

Cris
Old 03-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Although I agree with the sentiment (to the degree that I am crossing over from "concerned member of humanity" to "misanthrope"), I must repeat my point, which was that you wouldn't have bothered even making the post had you not intended to display your disdain for those who clutter up the world breathing your air and acting like ugly buffoons.

Not that there's really anything wrong with it; just thought you'd like to know that at the very least it will APPEAR this way to the discerning eye.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM

"CRYING??! There's no CRYING in Poker!!!"
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Phil\'s okay

[/ QUOTE ] if you want to define classy as a grown man crying on his mothers shoulder on tv because he got knocked out of a card game(even if it was a bad beat) then by all means...im not a Phil hater by the way(although his antics get old i think hes good for poker)...but we are talking about CLASS here not how close someone is to thier mother

[/ QUOTE ]

So Phil Helmuth isn't "classy" by the definitions of some people here. But I'd like to point out two things:

One, you can't read Phil by his voice. The guy is cursed with a voice that sounds whiney even when he's happy.

Two, none of the other players got followed off the floor with a TV camera. How do we know they didn't cry on someone's shoulder? Or put their fist through a wall? Or toss a piece of furniture? Or save the tears for their pillows?

Phil is under a microscope for his behavior in a way that few of us are. And very little that he does escapes the cutting tongues of the hosts because it makes for interesting commentary. They mention his bad behavior even when he's not misbehaving.

He left the table like a gentleman. After that, the cameras should have left him alone, the way they do everyone else.

Kinli
Old 03-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Phil\'s okay

Except that anticipation of getting to see Phil throw another hissy fit is half the reason why I watch televised poker in the first place. I mean, c'mon! This guy's an entertainer.

So, if that means he gets special treatment from the cameraman, that also means that someone gets to sell me more soap.