Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Dealing with aggressive opponents

In a heads-up match today, and my opponent raised from the small blind a lot more than me. To be precise, they did it with any blackjack hand 14 and over.

I loosened my call and re-raise standards, but I still wasn't sure what to do about this sort of aggression.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Dealing with aggressive opponents

Hey,

In a HU match, especially if your opponent is weak and/or passive, or you can outplay them post flop, I would raise with many more hands. I usually raise with any two cards bigger than 9, but a total of 14 is almost any hand with face card.

I would end up folding/raising a lot more often, and would not be inclined to simply call a raise, unless I had a monster hand and thought I could take advantage of their aggression. However, there is also a fine line between folding your blind every hand and defending it. Calling is a weak play though, unless you have a drawing hand that really needs the implied odds, raise it up if there is any chance you are ahead.

Entering as many pots as you can for a three bet, and with cards you suspect to be ahead of their raising standards, you should also be more inclinded to call down with any pair and high card.

Calvin
Old 03-17-2004, 04:07 AM

I've tried several times to answer this post. but with HU play it is so player dependent and preflop play isn't the most important like it is in 10 handed. You don't have to raise with AA and you can raise with 27o.

But I think that if he is raising any hand. Tighting up and not showing strenght until the turn will force him to tightin up as well. And then you have him playing tighter than he is use to.

As a side note always raising from the SB isn't the worst thing in the world you have position.

PS I'm sure I made no sense what so ever, and I am prepared to get slammed.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM

Prepare to get slammed:

[ QUOTE ]
you have position

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 11:45 AM

It depends alot on where the Small Blind is placed. Most sites I know place the Small Blind on the Button, and in those cases, I belive the Small Blind/Button should be raising quiet often in Heads Up poker. But I also know some sites that place the Big BLind on the Button, with the Small Blind first to act pre-flop. In those cases, I believe the Small Blind has to be alot more conservative with raising hands since he is out of position in every street.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Most sites I know place the Small Blind on the Button

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell I don't play a lot of HU matches? I apologize Book.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM

Hey Mosch, the best way to deal with someone like this is check-raise a lot of flops and follow through on a lot of turns. If he is out of line aggressive, start going to work with middle pair or better. Contrary to popular belief, over-aggressive opponents are the easiest opponents to take down heads up if you have the bankroll.
-James