Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Al Schoonmaker

My personal bet would lay on the fact that we are only miserable when we have the time to think about other aspects of our life. This could come from being alone for long periods of time and having the ability to think. This is not a bad thing. Most people don't even begin to realize what we can see because they come home from their jobs, that keep them mentally busy and start watching TV to keep themselves mentally busy so they never have to think about where they are or what they really wanted to be. Sure we feel lows when we are having a bad run of cards but the high we feel when we out play a worthy opponent or just have a good run of cards is great. Even when I am on a low I thank God I have the ability to feel. I used to try to numb myself with alcohol. Now I try to better myself and that is never easy.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 AM

You have issues. Seek help.

jHE
Old 03-17-2004, 07:59 AM

Jason, you need help.

best wishes for your recovery

Old 03-17-2004, 08:05 AM

Very good thread. I should say Dr. Al usually gives excellent advice. And Al Capone, Jr is a good poster with style and finesse.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, poker is a zero sum game, you can only win by making someone else lose. By definition that limits the amount the parties can win.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does poker being a zero sum game have to do with how much you can win? What if I'm playing 1000-2000?

[ QUOTE ]
The point is: Poker just doesn't pay very well. Many other skills pay much more, and reward more than poker. I always cringe when I see highly intelligent people choose poker over a more traditional type opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're wrong to so readily equate "success" with "wealth" in your post. Poker as a career offers many things typical jobs don't. Why should other people choosing what they think is best for their happiness make you "cringe"? Do you cringe when someone becomes a firefighter? Or a teacher? Or a nurse? I bet you're at least "100x wealthier" than they are.

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone in business sits in a cubical.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should get on this one, since you're a CEO and all: "cubicle".

[ QUOTE ]
It is ironic how sometimes talented young players will laugh at a successful doctor or lawyer or businesperson who seems to throw away their money on poker. Actually, many times the amount these people gamble is meaningless to them with their financial condition, so they do it for amusement.

Really it should be these people laughing at the "professional players" who sit for hours and hours to pick up a few of their droppings while they have a good time. It's more often the "pro" that has the ruined life, not the so-called loser

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a straw man argument, and it's not even original.