Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Re: Why I like Phil...

[ QUOTE ]
How does shaking hands make you a good sport after you have thrown several tantrums? how does sarcastically saying good hand make you a good sport?

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me how this fellow John Kerry acts.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:11 AM

would have liked to see your boys tantrum when 1/2 of his major allies decided to pull out of Iraq after listening to 90% of their population.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: too bad phil

Which is why phil is great for televised poker. You either love him or hate his guts but you watch. And, if they were all just the greatest of sportsman, they would just give all the money back at the end. But who would watch that.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the same reason that Terrell Owens, Allen Iverson and Mike Tyson get away with their own problems. They are that freakin' good. On a lesser level, Hellmuth is the Terrell Owens of the poker world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. When I think about admirable sports figures, I think of Barry Sanders, Bobby Clarke, Julius Erving, Lou Gehrig, Walter Payton, Joe DiMaggio, Wayne Gretzky, Jim Thorpe, and Dennis Rodman.

Now didn't it sound absurd, that last one?

There's a reason for that.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default unreal

I dont mind phil. I mean, im not a big fan, but he does add some flavor to the game. He's the player everyone loves to hate. But here's what's unreal. Which has been mentioned already in the thread by other responders.

He didnt show to much 'class' when he shook hands and left the table. You dont get much more sarcastic than he was. Did ya see the other guys' reaction to this? They noticed it and kind of stopped a moment. His comments and actions aren't preplanned in some wierd psychological longterm ploy. That's giving him a little too much credit. He comes by it honestly. He's a frickin' baby. Sure, sometimes he may use it, but usually you can/should be able to tell the difference when he's steamed. He's not known as a psychological warfare player. He's known as a brat.

Ever notice he's not quite as obnoxious when he's winning? Not quite as whiny? Much different tone when he makes comments. Why wouldnt he use that ploy then if it was so 'useful' to his image? Why didnt he use it when he was losing at the UB tourney in Aruba? Because, again, it's not necesarily a ploy. It's a reaction to 'entitlement'. Something he hasn't quite got over yet.

It would be fun to see him and that blowhard from france(?) on a table. The guy that howard L wouldnt shake hands with after he got knocked out. (it was a european tourney) Seeing those 2 go at each other would be kinda humorous. Especially if the guy sucked out on phil big time, then asks him to pick a card to look at...

It'd be classic.

b
Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: unreal

that would be good. i vote to also add the obnoxious guy they call .com. hes a complete ass. i notice hes gonna be on the wpt again tonight by the commercials. he shaved his head. and dont forget sam grizzle(?).
Old 03-17-2004, 02:06 PM

Default ONE instance where he was ok

...was when that magician clown was doing the wave after cracking him out of the tourney last year.

Otherwise, literally crying at Aruba, whining in LA, making snide comments everywhere, etc. are all just a guy who cannot control his emotions, not some sort of a masterplan of gamesmanship.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: unreal

[ QUOTE ]
It would be fun to see him and that blowhard from france(?) on a table. The guy that howard L wouldnt shake hands with after he got knocked out. (it was a european tourney)

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Tony G from Australia. I think it was last year's European Grand Prix at the Aviation Club in Paris.

His best moment was when he yelled out "It's a flush!" after beating one of the Frenchmen then proceeded to tell him "You just called me straight away - didn't even stop to think about it. You ought to be more careful with your money." (paraphrasing, of course)
Old 03-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: ONE instance where he was ok

at the wsop on tv this year he got busted out and stood up and stated sometthing like good luck in the tournament gentlemen and turned around and walked away. i thought to myself "alright phil that was classy your getting there." of course the very next seen was him with his head on his mommas shoulder looking very close to actually crying.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM

Default Re: ONE instance where he was ok

Hi scot,

[ QUOTE ]
at the wsop on tv this year he got busted out and stood up and stated sometthing like good luck in the tournament gentlemen and turned around and walked away. i thought to myself "alright phil that was classy your getting there." of course the very next scene was him with his head on his mommas shoulder looking very close to actually crying.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's wrong with crying on his mother's shoulder? He was really psyched for the WSOP this year, and he thought it was "his year" because he was playing really well.

But his QQ lost to Jason Lester's JJ, and the very next hand he caught AKs and that lost to a pocket pair. Just that fast -- on two good hands -- he was on the rail. If he wants to walk over and cry on his mother's shoulder, I certainly can't criticize him for that.

Yes, Phil has a much-deserved reputation for complaining about his bad beats, complaining when players talk at the table while he's trying to make a decision, etc. And he's the first to admit that this is a weakness that he needs to work on, and is working on.

I guess I'm imperfect enough that I don't get a big thrill out of seeing other people's weaknesses exposed. Then again, I don't watch Jerry Springer....

Cris