Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 AM

Default Re: QQ preflop decision

I guess my point was that even with as little as one overcard, you are still going home 30% of the time. Why wake a chance wiht going home just out of the money when you could probably ante your way to the money, and wiht your chip position, probably do plenty stealing of your own? Problem 48 in the hand quizzes in Sklansky's tournament book deals pretty closely wiht the situation mentioned here. He gives you JJ. You're the second chip leader, and the chip leader raises from your right strongly. There are also a few less people remaining in the tournament. But generally its a very close match to what occurs in our example. Sklansky suggests throwing JJ away. It ends with "This is a classic example of avoiding someone who can bust you in no limit, especially when most of the others cannot." Good luck. Eric
Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 AM

My personal opinion is to push all-in. There's a good chance he would have folded, knowing the situation you were in. He would HAVE to think he was up against a big pair. He probably would have put you on KK or AA, in which case he's likely folding unless he's got AK suited, possibly AQ suited, or KK, AA himself. However, why raise like that with such a big hand? If everyone is tight and folding, I'm sure he would've slow played a top hand.

If he folds, you're up to 19K, and have a great chance of winning (good money), if you win, you double up to 24K and ARE the big guy now. I love that position. That's when YOU pick and choose to call the all-ins, and push everyone around in them meantime.

I say go for it.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my point was that even with as little as one overcard, you are still going home 30% of the time. Why wake a chance wiht going home just out of the money when you could probably ante your way to the money, and wiht your chip position, probably do plenty stealing of your own? Problem 48 in the hand quizzes in Sklansky's tournament book deals pretty closely wiht the situation mentioned here. He gives you JJ. You're the second chip leader, and the chip leader raises from your right strongly. There are also a few less people remaining in the tournament. But generally its a very close match to what occurs in our example. Sklansky suggests throwing JJ away. It ends with "This is a classic example of avoiding someone who can bust you in no limit, especially when most of the others cannot." Good luck. Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

But the 70% of the time you *don't* go home, you're the massive chipleader. It's not like your either done or unimproved. Plus the chance that he might just fold to your all-in (if he had crap).

As for Sklansky's example, treating JJ like QQ is a great way to get into trouble. I would often toss JJ in this situation, but QQ is a substantially better hand.