Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Let\'s talk about Big Slick

AKo has been vexing me lately. First of all, I raise it from all positions and will three-bet to limit the field. However, this has a tendency to make the pot large quickly and thus justifies calling bets when the over cards miss. On the other side of the coin, since there are relatively more callers in most pots (4-5) for the micro limits than for the bigger limits, the final hand is much more likely to be closer to the best possible hand than if the field were narrowed down from 1-3 opponents (assume my attempt to narrow the field failed or that there was no raise). Therefore, the trouble is that my A or K may hit and I’ll still fall victim to Axo or Kxo that two paired or hit some freak straight. Lately, I simply fold to a bet when it misses, but that’s starting to feel awfully weak. Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Let\'s talk about Big Slick

If you are against 4+ people, the pot is big enough to justify you staying in until at least the turn to try and catch overcards (unless there is excessive action and you believe you are drawing dead). If this is the case, you should check-raise often in early position and bet in late position, to try to get as many people as possible to fold.

If you short-handed, you can miss the flop and still be ahead. If the flop is uncoordinated, like 247r you can occsaionally win the pot without improving.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Let\'s talk about Big Slick

I agree completely, except for your bio. My Tigers are repeating next year, although Columbia did prove to play Princeton tough.