Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 11:14 PM

Default AQ in the SB!

Supersat for NEPC $2500 main event. The table is 8 handed and we are at the 50/100 level. Levels are 20 minutes long and the rebuy period is over. UTG limps for 100 and UTG+1 raises it to 300. The action is folded to me and I look down and see AQs. Now the Raiser was just moved to my table, so I do not have any read as of yet. The early limper played a lot of pots but always raised with the goods. They both have me covered. I have T1700. By the way, the big blind had already thrown his cards in the muck out of turn. What is my play?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: AQ in the SB!

This is where it's time to talk. You need to get some line on the new player. You can't talk about your hand, or his hand. But, you can say something like "Wow, just arrived at the table, and raising already." See how he responds. If you suspect he'd like you to fold, raise all-in. If he doesn't appear concerned, or you sense he would like the action, fold.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:18 PM

In the absence of any information about the raiser this is a clear fold. I don't agree with Fossilman about talking to him to get information. You will not get a reliable tell from any half decent, totally unknown player.

The position and action of the two players in the pot indicate that there is a very strong possibility that you are way behind. Although your chips are getting low I believe you are better off to wait for a better opportunity.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:35 PM

If this is the first hand dealt to this new player, I'd push all-in!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with Fossilman about talking to him to get information. You will not get a reliable tell from any half decent, totally unknown player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but I've played in these super-sats, and you haven't (or at least I think you haven't). Much more than half the players are NOT half decent or better.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:59 PM

Is it such a bad play to call another 250 and see the flop? Please explain why if so.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Because you would have no clue how to proceed if you flopped an ace out of position.
-James
Old 03-16-2004, 05:39 PM

In my opinion you should only try and outflop in the very early stages of a tournament or in the very late stages of the tournament. In the early stages of a tournament you have implied odds because the blinds are small relative the stack size. In the late stages of a tournament you have a diffent kind of implied odds because you will win such a huge percentage of the chips in play if you do happen to trap somebody after the flop.

In between I think you are better off picking up a series of samller pots, either by stealing the blinds, or coming over the top of players you read as weak. Hitting the flop or bluffing on the flop should be your plan B. You really don't want to bleed down your stack calling raises out of position and trying to trap if the miracle flop does come.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:40 PM

I stand corrected.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:41 PM

Default RESULTS

I ended up talking to him...I looked him dead in the eyes and saw someone that did not want a call...so I said raise and now the question was how much. This guy just droped his jaw and looked like he got caught with his pants down...so I decided to go all-in. He took about a minute to think about it and called...I figured him for a weak ace and he turned over AJs...not as weak as I thought but I am way ahead. Anyway, he spiked a J on the turn and I was gone. I went with my read, and was way ahead...but maybe I should have played it different...I just wanted to get your opinions