Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Finale

One of the greatest hours of comedy in television history (seriously) .... Never has a comedy series made me so anxious and nervous AND somehow manage to shatter any expectations or assumptions while keeping the humour fresh and constant.

Even if you can't stand Larry's personality or his humour, last night's show is the one that you should watch...

Can next season even come close to the brillance of this one?

Anyone have thoughts on the series or you feelings about last nights show?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Finale

I'm not sure if I saw the season finale, or a re-run. It was The Producers opening night.

If you haven't seen the original movie with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, you won't get the humor; it's a replay of the movie, and a parody of the plot. Clever writing.

But I'm not a big fan of the show (even though my mother-in-law's boyfriend's son is the executive producer) and they even managed to have Mel Brooks not make me laugh.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:17 PM

An excellent show, funniest thing by far on at the moment. My favorite show of this season was the one where he got of jury duty and went to the baseball game.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:13 PM

People either love or hate this show. I love it. Many of those who hate it will eventually love it and claim that they always did.

Last night's show was a perfect end to the season. It was a very clever ending and totally unexpected. Of course, you wouldn't get many of the jokes if you haven't seen The Producers. Then again if you haven't seen that movie, you probably don't have much of a sense of humor.

This show will change television comedy as much as Seinfeld did. Already there are unscripted shows turning up on other networks.

I'm not a big David Schwimmer fan, but he was very good. Kudos to him for being willing to portray himself as a bit of a jerk.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:14 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm is the only TV show I watch, it's hilarious. I've only watched this season and last season though, how were the first couple of years?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:16 PM

I don't understand, why did you need to see the Producers to think this show was funny? Give me an example of a joke that I needed to see the Producers to get in this show.

[ QUOTE ]
Already there are unscripted shows turning up on other networks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean, is this show unscripted? I'd be interested in anything about how they make the show...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 PM

The first season came out on dvd fairly recently. They are not as cohesive as the last two seasons in terms of one long continuous plot (restaurant, 10th ann. present, producers), but excellent nevertheless. If you get HBO comedy in your HBO package you wil find that they play an episode at 10p ever night m-f. I think that they are just finishing up season 2 right now.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:24 PM

Bruiser

the last 15 minutes (from the point when people start getting up to leave) are straight from the film... even the guy that they bought the drink for in the bar was in the original film (as well as the dialouge during intermission).
Old 03-15-2004, 03:25 PM

The final 15 minutes, where the audience starts to leave because they can't stand the show, and then comes back because of the actor straying from the script, is from the movie. Likewise, Mel Brooks and Ann Bancroft in the bar being glad the show flopped (and Brooks saying he'll by drinks for everyone in the bar, knowing there's only one other person there), only to discover it's a hit, is also from the movie. If you saw the original movie, you'll remember Gene Wilder blindly repeating "let's hear from the majority," as Ann Bancroft did last night.

I understand a good portion of the show is improvised.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:28 PM

here is an interview from robert weide one of the directors of the show.

http://www.stanthecaddy.com/cye/disc...terview-1.html