Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Incorrect laydown?

6/12 Hollywood Park, Loose preflop, Tight postflop

I have a very good read on all the players, and in my opinion, only one player is attentitive. Two limpers to me, I raise with QQ on the button, SB calls and the BB raises.

The two limpers fold, and then I proceed to muck my ladies..... SB called.

This player has not rasied preflop in the 4 hours that we were playing together..... He has also shown QQ, KK and AK during the session. He is the most passive player I have ever played with. He only bets when he has either the nuts or 2nd nuts.

I obviously put him on AA, and threw my hand away..... However, what I did not realize was that there was 9 Small bets in the pot.

Do I need to automatically call here? What if the SB reraises? If I do hit a set, AA will most likely call all the way down.

Any advice would be great!

By the way, he showed down AA and lost to the SB who had 77 and rivered a set.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Incorrect laydown?

you absolutely MUST call preflop here. If SB caps, still call the cap. You cannot lay this down preflop because the implied (as well as immediate) pot odds are too great.

Not close.

Josh
Old 03-14-2004, 07:48 PM

The problem here is I know I am beat.... and I only have 2 outs ( outside of a 4 card flush/starght ). The implied odds are not that great either, cause AA player will not bet once the cards come on the flop.... he will just call all the way, unless he feels he is beat, and he will laydown.

I do agree that I should call, cause there are 9 bets in there and the odds are 7.5 for a set. I guess I just didn't think about that....

Thanks, still learning!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:06 PM

I agree with what you said except one thing.

you do not know that you are BEAT. you know that you are BEHIND.

but the race is just getting started.

Josh
Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is I know I am beat.... and I only have 2 outs ( outside of a 4 card flush/starght ). The implied odds are not that great either, cause AA player will not bet once the cards come on the flop.... he will just call all the way, unless he feels he is beat, and he will laydown.

I do agree that I should call, cause there are 9 bets in there and the odds are 7.5 for a set. I guess I just didn't think about that....

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also value in the certainty of knowing what your opponent holds, especially if you get it headsup with him, and with position, and if he's as passive as you say. I might think about capping preflop to try to shut out the SB.

He might go for a flop check-raise, and you could take a free turn card. There are also enough draw boards for you- JT9 and such- that seeing a flop is definitely the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, still learning!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then maybe you did well. When I was first learning, I used to put somebody on aces, and then call him down anyway just to comfort myself that I made the correct read.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:56 PM

If you are comfortable folding QQ do so on the flop after it doesn't hit you with a set.
-James