Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 04:30 PM

Default A recurring situation

Today I had a few hands that were very similar in the way of betting patterns and results. It was a short handed game with weakish opposition. I open raise with a medium suited ace like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and get called by one of the blinds. Board comes down something like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], it's checked and called. Turn brings another club giving me the trump flush and my opponent bets into me. Now, what do you do here? Do you raise immediately or call and let him bet the river for you with an inferior hand? Or do you raise immediately?

Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked. I just want to know what you all think is the best play.

Pipedream
Old 03-12-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: A recurring situation

That's completely player dependent.

is he aggressive? will he laydown weak hands?
would he continue to bet the river?
do you think he's bluffing?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Today I had a few hands that were very similar in the way of betting patterns and results. It was a short handed game with weakish opposition. I open raise with a medium suited ace like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and get called by one of the blinds. Board comes down something like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], it's checked and called. Turn brings another club giving me the trump flush and my opponent bets into me. Now, what do you do here? Do you raise immediately or call and let him bet the river for you with an inferior hand? Or do you raise immediately?

Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked. I just want to know what you all think is the best play.

Pipedream

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your post, the more interesting question is what do you do when the flop is Kc8c4h the turn is the 3c and you have JhJd or AhQh.

You miss far more often than you make in this game, maybe you should ask yourself if their reaction gives you information about how you are percieved and how you play your "misses".
Old 03-12-2004, 04:37 PM

Hi Pipe,

IMO, generally the raise is fine, assuming there are many times you will raise the turn with a mix of hands.

-Diplomat
Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 PM

what limit? live or online?

for live game, my solution by the third time would be, muck half way, stare him down, and say "i don't believe you have anything, and i call!", then turbo raise him on river, hehe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

online, i'd wait till the ocean card and then do a 30 sec raise...
Kenny
Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 PM

My default is to raise. I try to keep track of players who look to drop. You raised preflop and there is a K on board, and many players will be willing to give you AK so their turn actions can be read in that light. I don't know if I make enough money on the nuts either, good thing I don't get them very often.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:53 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'll raise if i intended to call them down with ace high or i think they'll fold what they're betting
Old 03-12-2004, 05:02 PM

though mixing up your play is a good thing, when playing in a heads up pot, when someone bets into me and I have the nuts I feel no need to let them know they are beaten on the turn. By smooth calling the turn on a non threatening board, you allow the opponent to catch something on the river and get overagressive. If he checks the river, he wasn't going to call a turn raise anyway, but allowing him to keep control of the hand will usually keep him betting into you, and your river reraise might just get 3 bet.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:44 AM

I will usually raise against most. His bet is sometimes a small flush, sometimes a pair that has now picked up a flush draw. Another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] will kill the action if he has a small flush, since he may not bet the river. If he has a big [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] he might bet into me again on the river.

I'll wait only if he has a high propensity to bluff.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the 3rd time, why not try just calling? OR maybe you're not raising enough other hands in this situation.

b