Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM

Default QQ, heads up, one caller, low board....keep betting???

Online, so not much info from the player.

My first hand in a 100 buy in NL game...im in the BB with QQ. a couple of limpers and then a double BB bet, fold to me, and I pot sized raise in, fold, fold and mr double the bet calls.

Flop is J 7 2 rainbow

I put a pot sized bet in and get called

Turn is 3

I put a pot sized bet in and get called

river is 8 (no flush)

I move all in and get called

Caller has KK

This comes up a lot. Maybe I could save myself some money, but I seem to lose theese a lot with either KK or QQ, or even AA when someone has flopped a set, they just let the moneky (me) throw money at them and they keep calling.

The only thing I was not thrilled about was my turn bet was a pot sized bet, but it did not leave me enough to put another pot sized bet in, it left me with a little less than half my stack. I guess I couda put him all in on the turn for a big overbet, maybe he wouda folded. Or I couda checked and folded to a big bet. Or maybe I am destined to lose my stack with that hand.

Any thoughts?

Spoody
Old 03-12-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: QQ, heads up, one caller, low board....keep betting???

knowing nothing about the player, i play this exactly the same way. unfortunately there are some people out there who will play the same way with a big pocket pair, and when you pick up a slightly smaller pair you never get a signal to get away from your hand. but you will get called by a worse hand more often than by a better hand here, so keep betting.

however, if you change the situation somewhat (you have 99, flop is 872), i would shut off after betting the flop, because he is so likely to be sitting on a bigger pocket pair that he will call with but is too timid to raise.