Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Hook, line and sink-sink-sinker

I've wanted to keep a resolution to post more hands, but there's not much to learn from "63o, folded. Repeat . . . "

A couple of days ago, though, I got a hand remarkably similar to Haakee's I play bad? and am uncertain as to how I (and my opponent) played it.

20/40, 9-handed, the usual somewhat loose, fairly passive late afternoon game at the local B&M. I'm UTG+1 and get K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

As it's my next-to-last hand, I open raise, folded to a moderately decent player in MP, folded to calling-station BB.

Flop is K93o.
I bet, MP calls, BB calls.

Turn is 9, no flush possible.
I bet, MP raises, BB calls, I call.

River is J.
I check, MP bets, BB folds, I call.

MP shows AA (huh?) to take the pot with a better two-pair.

In retrospect, regardless of the outcome I'm wondering if I misplayed this in several respects.

Should I have limped with KJs? This always strikes me as a close one, and I'd normally limp but with only one more hand I may have been a skosh loose.

What about check-raising the flop? I was unsure that either of the others would bet.

How about 3-betting the turn? After all, of the hands that I'm behind only KQ, 99 and perhaps A9s seemed reasonable given the PF action, and I figured that he'd probably have raised the flop with 99.

And on the river, now that I have top two pair, should I have bet out or raised? Given his turn raise, I was only really worried about A9s, but is that looking for monsters?

Old 03-08-2004, 07:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Hook, line and sink-sink-sinker

i would have limped preflop, bet the flop, bet the turn and called one back, and bet the river.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 PM

I'd limp preflop UTG or UTG+1 given your game texture. Given the preflop raise I think you played it fine until the river when you should have bet out and called a raise. A lot of the "moderately decent" players in that game cold-call with hands they shouldn't be cold-calling with. Many of them would cold-call with T9s and almost everybody who plays that game will cold-call with A9s.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:56 PM

MP ain't raising you with 43 on that turn. You're beat on the turn. Probably badly.

River makes things a little bit interesting. If he was playing AK or KQ, you've just jumped ahead. Still, you're probably beat. But are you going to call? Yes.

You bet this river. He'll only raise you with a good 9 or a full house. If he raises you, fold. Who cares what he had? The answer is more than you have.

If you check the river, and he did have AK or KQ, he might check it behind, and you lose a bet.

But if you plan to check-call anyway, and know he'll only raise if he has you massive slaughtered, you should be betting here.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:15 AM

Fold the turn or bet the river.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:05 AM

hi analyst
the wee-wee suit, well. you need 3 wees, not 2, from EP, to make it all the way home.