Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: ADVICE SEEKED!

[ QUOTE ]
the fact remains that it was a bunk 2flush flop, it got capped, and the 3flush showed up on the river. under ordinary circumstances this indicates you are beaten and drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys just don't get it. I've put in plenty of hours in the Commerce 9-18 game (as well as the 20-40 and some lower limit games). Capped flops in most California games don't mean there are a bunch of monster hands out. If flop betting doesn't get capped a few times an hour, it's an unusual occurance. Players cap with middle pair or just overcards. They don't need big draws.

Too many posters on 2+2 limit their hand reading to only put people on hands which either have them beat or are drawing extremely live against them. They rarely seem to consider to more likely possibility that they are way ahead and their opponents are drawing slim or dead.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Re: I cannot believe this is my thousandth post

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very easy check unless your opponents are total fools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, most players are total fools.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:07 PM

Default DAVID, MASON, RAY, or JOHN please chime in with a quick thought or 2

this is a thread at the start of which i had very strong feelings about my position on the action here and felt confident enough to argue it through and explain what i believed to be the reasons behind my actions.

HOWEVER, it seems i may have jumped the gun here but would LOVE to see david, mason, ray, or john chime in here.

if i was playing at the st. tropez or at the bellagio 10/20 or 15/30 respectively, i would check here without a doubt because a capped flop definately means something there and people certainly are capable of checking their made flushes hoping to get in that c-r.

but as you said clark, "fortunately most people ARE fools." AND the fools checked! so on a party 15/30 in the future i think i will highly consider, and would actually most likely, bet in this same spot. but ONLY because of the players and their skill level is what would tip the scales for me here and what has in fact changed a hard defended opinion (just read all my posts on this thread) into a more open minded approach.

questions? comments?
-Barron
Old 03-06-2004, 08:22 PM

Default The funny part of it is you spelt thesaurus wrong, lol. n/t

Old 03-06-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: DAVID, MASON, RAY, or JOHN please chime in with a quick thought or 2

I guess my problem is that 2 of the weaker parts of my game are my bankroll, and the inability to decipher between the 100% morons and the 95% morons. The problem here is you have to put some kind of hand on at least one player..... and last time I checked, the pot goes to the best hand....

I think it is possible that in the very long run, given everyones responses that there might be marginal EV to bet in this situation.... but I think betting, and then losing to a better hand hurts a hell lot more than missing out on 1 or 2 bets.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: The funny part of it is you spelt thesaurus wrong, lol. n/t

Just like a certain coworker of mine--she can't spell anything and she is in a key position in my company.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: DAVID, MASON, RAY, or JOHN please chime in with a quick thought or 2

like i said, in general i agree. but in THIS instance on PARTY tables with THESE morons (your not as aggressive as cali morons) you should bet and i will from now on.

in most situations a check is in order but not here. at least that is how i now feel but i reserve the right to change my opinion again if evidence should sway my decision in the other direction.

-Barron
Old 03-07-2004, 07:55 AM

have you seen the 40 at commerce?

Just wanted to make sure you still miss our games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

J
Old 03-08-2004, 07:05 PM

Seems possible that the pre-flop capping isn't just flush draws, but overcards and over pairs from lousy players that limped with them. If you know that you're playing against idiots, (which seems to be a fair assumption) I like the bet.