Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Vince Van Patten - The bigot of whatever it is he does for a living

Last season on the WPT, I ignored the announcers calling Phil Ivey the "Tiger Woods of the poker world". I'm not a very picky person when it comes to politically incorrect statements. I gave the announcers the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe it's a compliment and has nothing to do with the fact that Ivey is a young, light-skinned black man.

Tonight, Van Patten called Carlos Mortenson the "Antonio Banderas of the poker world." I can't see how this is intended as a compliment. It's merely association by race - pure bigotry. Add this to the fact that Van Patten called a QQ hand "West Hollywood," and you have the Travel Channel tolerating this bigotry.

As I said, I'm normally not picky about comments like this, but to me, it's a developing pattern that the Travel Channel should end.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Vince Van Patten - The bigot of whatever it is he does for a living

[ QUOTE ]
Van Patten called Carlos Mortenson the "Antonio Banderas of the poker world." I can't see how this is intended as a compliment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can. They are both.. how do you say? Ah yes.. very sexy.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:01 AM

Phil ivey was considered the tiger woods of poker when he beat amarillo slim heads up at the WSOP a couple of years back Vince didnt come up with it. easy does it with the comments he is just trying to juice up the commentating which needed it tonight cause the production of tonights WPT was a yawner.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:49 AM

I also am willing to give people fair latitude when it comes to shaming them about something that may or may not be politically correct, but I agree the comments about Phil and Carlos are quite suspect.

I don't have the Travel Channel so have only caught a couple episodes of the WPT here and there, but I certainly raised an eyebrow at the Tiger Woods comparison when I heard it. I let a friend of mine who is rather conservative (not that there's anything wrong with that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) play devil's advocate and talk me down (so I too gave the announcers the benefit of the doubt), but I saw tonight's episode and I can't write off the Antonio/Carlos comment as coincidence.

However, I'm not so much convinced the guy's a racist as just daft. My reaction was more 'what a moron' than 'what a redneck.' I don't even know what he means by these comparisons. Neither of the poker players' careers seem to mirror those of either Tiger or Antonio, so what's left but the racial similarities? Hell, I agree that Carlos looks enough like Antonio Banderas to merit comparison, but only insofar as 'Hey, that Carlos Mortenson kinda looks like Antonio Banderas.' End of comparison. And maybe even Phil and Tiger a bit, but again, it's superficial only.

What I really suspect is he's making a very poor, convoluted attempt to demonstrate that poker is an equal opportunity pasttime (sp?). 'Hey, look, we allow brown people, just like other sports! Whee!' It may be a very misguided attempt to look hip. A stretch, maybe, but something about those comments smacks of the suburban teengers who misappropriate urban culture in failed attempts to manufacture some, uh, what do they call it, street cred?

I'm willing to write it off as ignorance right now (versus patent racism). Regardless, I think someone ought to pull him aside and give him a talk, because his comments are ultimately bad for poker. I think it's great poker is getting so much TV coverage, so I don't want someone ruining it by repeatedly making dunderheaded comments that may rub off on those of us who think differently.

George
Old 03-04-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My reaction was more 'what a moron' than 'what a redneck.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah white country folks ... whats the world gonna come to when its not alright to make fun of them anymore.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:14 AM

I don't care about being politically correct and I don't care about Vince's comments.

danny
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 AM

Maybe politically incorrect isn't the right way to put it. Maybe bigoted is too harsh. But when he said what he said tonight, it seemed like he was saying, "Hey, this is the Spanish guy of poker." And the "west hollywood" comment also seemed inappropriate.

I guess what I'm getting at is that on top being a terrible commentator, Vince is putting the show in jeopardy of receiving bad press. I can't figure out why they keep him around. I keep thinking maybe people find him funny, but I just don't see how that's possible.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:32 AM

regarding the idea to pull him aside and straighten him out.
remember, this is not a LIVE telecast like a football game. this is produced....with some of the commentary taking place in the studio AFTER the event is completed.

because of this, it would be very easy to EDIT out some of the controversial comments (perhaps they already do).
the fact that they are not edited out (or they didn't try another take of them, or whatever) indicates that they are permitted/acknowledged/(even encouraged??) by the producers of the show.

this makes the comments even less excuseable when compared with a LIVE telecast where the slightest accidental utterance can get one into trouble.

for even more bizarre/improper comments, take a look at the Ladies of Poker episode which aired again earlier in the evening. i don't remember the specifics....but i raised my eye-brows several times at Vince's ignorance/bigotry/incompetence.

additionally, it is possible to add excitement to a sports-type broadcast without being offensive. not to mention that his offensiveness actually detracts from any drama or excitement.

i may sound ultra politically-correct about such things....but my degree is in broadcast journalism and i look at all news and sports broadcasts with an equally critical eye. i don't think it should be that hard for a nationally broadcast program to find qualified, competent talent.
then again, Billy Packer still does the college-hoops championship on CBS so i may be wrong.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:49 AM

i totally disagree, i like vince much better than mike. Vince brings color to the commentating. Vince is a guy most of the viewers can relate to. I think Sexton is really becoming an issue on his comments about the players mistakes and so. Through the grape vine a few players from the first season where pretty pissed off at him for some comments on play.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:30 AM

Actually, I think the show would be much more interesting if Shauna Hiatt and Jennifer Harmon hosted the show in see thru nighties. Then, instead of having the cash brought out by armed guards, they could get it on the table by way of a girl v girl pillow fight.., [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]