Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Hand for review

Party Poker 1/2 Hold 'Em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 6h 3d (one pair, jacks).
UTG shows Th Ts (two pair, jacks and tens).
Hero shows Kh Qd (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.75 BB. </font>

I checked through because I thought that someone with a J might try to checkraise in this situation. Too weak? (1st orbit of the table, no reads)

Hand Two
Party Poker 1/2 Hold 'Em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks As (one pair, kings).
MP2 shows Jc Jd (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

What are your thoughts on betting hard with only 2 overcards? I figured I would call anyway if I checked, so might as well be aggressive.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Hand for review

Hand 1: do not coldcall preflop raises with KQo. Think of the range of hands that people raise with UTG. Then think of how almost all of those hands portend doom and failure for KQo.

Hand 2: I'm trying to avoid chasing so damn much, so I would tell you check and fold on the turn unimproved against 2 opponents. MP2 could not have played this hand worse.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 PM

Before reading the results here are my thoughts.

Hand 1, fold pre-flop. There are no callers between you and UTG and even if there were, KQo is not a good hand to call 2 bets cold (very few hands are, the recommendation is fold or re-raise). Now comes the flop which misses you, again I would fold on the flop. Once you turn the King you're in to the river. I don't know whether checking or betting the river is better...

Hand 2, pre-flop is an automatic raise. Now again the flop misses you except for the fact you have 2 overcards. 6 outs if you're behind but a club may not be clean. Betting the flop trying to get 3 players to fold never works for me but I play against people who go way too far with their hands. I think betting the flop is OK , but check the turn, they have already called and the 2 won't scare them into folding, and hope for a free card. You hit your King on the river, but it's a club...will it be good? Hard to say, river play is my weakest, I will defer to the better players on that one.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 PM

Default I read the results and...

While I am glad you won both pots, Hand 1 you were very lucky...fold pre-flop.

Hand 2, I have never seen an overpair to the flop played worse than MP2...again you got lucky but hey, if MP2 wants to let you see cheap cards, that's his/her prerogative.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 PM

First hand is a pre-flop fold. KQo isnt strong enough to be playing here.
Second hand is fine. I hate the way i play two overcards so i usually foldem but the one thing i can say is that i hate your river bet there.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:30 PM

I don't like the way you played these hands at all, sorry. You were very fortunate to catch cards and then win the hand when the odds were against you.

Hand 1: Fold KQo preflop when raised from EP. Fold on the flop. You only have two overcards with no backdoor draws (AT is not worth mentioning).

EDIT: How bad is coldcalling and EP raiser with KQo? Think about what hands he could have, and what flops you like. If a K flops you are probably going to the river and he could have AA, KK, or AK. You can lose a lot of money. If a Q flops he could have AA, KK, QQ, or AQ. Again, lots of money lost. If he doesn't hit the flop when you do, he isn't going to stick around to pay you off if you raise.

Hand 2: Check-fold the flop. Again, you are playing overcards with tainted runner-runner outs. If any of those cards were a spade, you could call a bet.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...one thing i can say is that i hate your river bet there.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you hate the river bet? he has top pairs finally. seems like one time in the hand that a bet would finally be prudent.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 PM

I would fold the first one on the flop. With an UTG raise it is very possible that your outs are tainted, unless the raiser is a maniac, which is probably possible at that limit.

The second hand is fine.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:40 PM

1) Fold preflop (dominated), fold on the flop, bet the river.

2) IŽll bet the flop here too if I have a tight image and my opponents arenŽt calling stations. Else IŽll check.
If I choose to bet and gets 2 calls, then Ill check the turn.