Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Default I didnt make it...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold 'Em, $1 BB (8 handed)

BB ($35.40)
UTG ($39.75)
Hero ($74.35)
MP1 ($73.15)
MP2 ($46.25)
CO ($187)
Button ($48.25)
SB ($74.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB folds, BB calls $1, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($8.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $6, Button calls $6, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($20.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $20, Button calls $20.

River: ($60.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $60.50

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qd Ad (high card, ace).
Button shows 4d Kd (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Button wins $60.50. </font>

This is a hand that i came across a couple of days ago, thoughts and opinions appriciated...! As I came to the river i was thinking that if he could call a potbet at the turn he have me beat, and chiping it in would be throwing "good money after bad", as he called potbet on turn i was having a hard time beliving that he wouldnt call with the rest of his stack at river, but after i saw his hand i m not sure what his action would be...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: I didnt make it...

Well played ignore the results.

I'm kidnapping your thread because i've got a huge urge to know and i'm sure a lot of other players will have. Why oh why did you (only) min raise preflop? Do you do this with QQ KK AA too?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:51 AM

It is sometimes worth a bet on the river in situations like these where it is quite possible your opponent is drawing. In limit poker I make this bet quite often. In big-bet it's tougher to make since it will usually have to be a pretty hefty bet. In this particular case, though, your opponent has but $20 left. I would have given a bet strong consideration here, and probably wussed out in the end anyway.

If he's normally reasonably aggressive, he would probably have raised you at some time with a made hand, since there are so many drawing possibilities on this board and he would want to charge you to hit. It does look like he's drawing here.

Funnily enough, I played almost exactly the same hand in a tournament yesterday. I too gave up on the river, and I too was shown a rivered pair of fours by a hand that had been drawing to a worse straight than mine, and no flush.

Pah.

Guy.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:42 PM

I rarely miniraise. Thou this was a minirasie as i was fairly new at the table and just won a pot. A bet of 3-5x would be more like me. I know that there are different opinions on the miniraise issue, some miniraise from EP with strong hands and so on, to induce inferior hands to raise. The miniraise is (or as i see it) often a sign of players that don’t dare to make the big plays (or as previously stated very experienced players in disguise).. Or what is you take at the miniraise?

"a bet strong consideration here", Well of course i did have this in mind, thought about it and wussed out...

"If he's normally reasonably aggressive, he would probably have raised you at some time with a made hand" In my opinion he looked (this was after this hand and a few more) as quite passive, but that is easy to say afterwards. Calling the flop bet on the turn appeared as strength to me, but as you say, if he had a big hand he would have push back if he had that gear in his game.