Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 02:30 AM

Default Shooting Star 55 in small blind

I'm playing in the $1580 Sunday No-limit version of the Shooting Star event in San Jose. 120 players left. 8-handed. Hon Lee table chip leader with appox 30 thousand bets his standard $800 in position 1, folded to a quiet reserved type who calls. I decide to call in the small blind with two black fives and hope for a set. Blinds are 100 and 200. Big blind folds. I have 10,800 and late position guy has 10,000. Flop comes:
Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
With the 25 antes there must be 2800 in the pot. I bet 2000 like a man with top pair. Hon Lee folds and resersed guy fumbles with his chips and goes all in.
Now what? I called and he turned over two jacks. Should I have gotten away from this hand? Set over set is not so likely plus with 2 queens he probably would have raised.
Hmmm. Vince Lepore in seat 5 commented "I thought you had King ten of spades or something like that". So he probably read reserved guy correctly for jacks should I have?

Thanks in advance
JH
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Shooting Star 55 in small blind

There is no problem going broke with set over set. It's a lot more likely he's got QJ, and is willing to go with it, than it is that he's got the higher set. Even taking into account that it's a hand he's willing to go all-in with, AQ is more likely than a higher set. You can't fold a set on the flop unless you know the opponent VERY well, and it's rare even then.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Shooting Star 55 in small blind

Thanks for the thoughtful reply...I half convinced myself that these 10,000 chip tournaments had to handle situations like this completely different.
You are one of the best posters here...
JH