Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 10:24 AM

Default AJ EMP

utg calls, ep2 calls, I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I call, LP calls, CO calls, Button calls, blinds both call.

Flop

KJ6r

Checked to me I check, it checks around,

Turn.

SB checks, BB Bets, I call, all fold.

River

BB bets, I call
Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: AJ EMP

I would've bet the flop. You might have the best hand and even if you don't, it's worth it if some of your opponents fold.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Bet the flop or raise the turn. Mix and match to taste.

- Jim
Old 03-01-2004, 12:21 PM

I say raise the turn... I doubt I would actually stab at this on the flop. On the turn you are either against a weakling King or a worse jack, so you could easily have the best hand.. and maybe be able to push the other guy out.. although that is unlikely.

I say raise the turn and bet/call the river.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Raise preflop.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Raise PF, I am betting until somebody tells me I am beaten.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:25 PM

I think that was my big mistake in this hand and when he came out betting I knew it. He may not have folded his K7o anyway as the table was playing a little loose but I do think my huge mistake was not raising preflop here.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:39 PM

Preflop - I might raise here, depending on the texture of the table. For example, what are UTG and EP's limping standards, with what range of hands will the players behind you coldcall, etc.

Flop - I would have checked as well, with three players left to act behind me, though I think it is a fairly close decision. KJ on an AJx flop is an easy check, but AJ on a KJx flop is much closer.

Turn - At first glance, I thought that calling might be best, given the texture of the board (K on flop and you having an Ace means no one can have two overcards, which would be getting about the right odds to chase) and small pot size. However, the turn card that came gives 98 an OESD and JT a double-gutshot, so I think you should raise and charge draws that are getting odds to call a single bet. Had the turn card been in the 2-5 range, I would have agreed with just calling, as it would be highly unlikely that anyone behind you would have more than 5 outs (and they could have as little as 2-3), and with the small pot size, they would be incorrect to call. Calling also would be beneficial in this case, as the player who bet the turn might be on a bluff and would fold to a raise, but might bluff again on the river if you just call.

River - Yup.

-- Homer

EDIT - If you raise the turn, fold to a three-bet and if your opponent calls and checks to you on the river, it's a judgement call whether you bet or check it through.