Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 07:44 PM

Default What is the correct play here?

Royal Vegas Multi--I have 3K in chips 65 players started 13 left, I've been tight but aggressive the whole time. I pick up QQ 2nd UTG and go all in--get called by KK and bust out just short of the money. I normally would play this hand less aggressively at this point w/ my stack,figuring I
can ease my way into the money and then shift gears. I really felt I should either raise all in or fold here (didn't want any weak aces to call)--is this correct strategy??

ps--my stack was just a little under average at this point
Old 02-29-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: What is the correct play here?

Hey Steve,

It will help if you give some info on the table and blinds. Was it a full table, or shorthanded? How big was your stack relative to the blinds (this may be one of the most important factors)? Where were you sitting relative to the button? Add this info so these guys can give you some real help here.

Aside from all of that, sometimes crap just happens. You had a big hand, and ran into a bigger hand. Happens all the time, and there's not much you can do to avoid it. Nice going on your 13th place finish, BTW.

--Casey
Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 PM

Blinds were 400/200 --so my stack was about 8 x the BB--table was 7 handed --I've had the same thing happen w/ AK in early position w/ someone having AA around back. My real question is this:
If you know you can get into the money should you play relatively passively w/ a good hand (JJ QQ AK AQ) from up front--I would have had no problem folding to a big RR from the Kings in this hand--just think I overplayed it a bit for the situation.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:28 AM

If it's any consolation, I would have done the same thing in your situation. There is another post in this section titled "JJ on the bubble". There is some good stuff in there. With your short stack (relative to the blinds), I think your choice to raise all-in was a good one. If your goal was to make the final table, and not to win as much as you could, then maybe playing scared is the way to do it. This hand had the potential to put you over the hump, but you ran into KK and got smashed.

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing.

--Casey
Old 03-14-2004, 11:45 PM

What the Hell, you aren't SUPPOSED to get dealt QQ when someone has KK (or AA or KK when someone has AA) Those situations just aren't solveable.
Except by having more chips than the other guy. Maybe you shouldn't be playing so tight. Maybe you should, especially, be stealing more. The reasons that the farmers are sitting there with their chips is so that the bandits can steal them.