Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Re: the only people opposed to gay marriage are closeted gays

I think the thing they fear is the "purity of race" issue you metioned, as well as a threat to their "way of life."
Old 02-27-2004, 12:05 AM

As long as you're not claiming "all" or "always", I don't think it's platitudinous. But if you write it that way (claiming "all" or "always") even unintentionally, I think it thereby becomes platitudinous, and changes the meaning significantly.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Communism vs. Christianity

All fair points, I have no major quarrel with this post, although I did with your prior one.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:53 PM

Default th defense of marriage act of \'96 already stops that from happening

Old 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM

With African slavery, the slaughter of nativ peoples in the Americas, the pogroms against the jews, the inquisition, the crusades, the Catholic -Protestant purges, and the First World War as a start, the Christians far exceed the Communists in the # murdered.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: th defense of marriage act of \'96 already stops that from happening

I doubt that DOMA has been challenged yet. I also doubt that it would withstand a constitutional challenge due to its DIRECT contradiction to the Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 PM

The Christians have murdered more people in the name of Christ than any other organization in history.

way to tag an unsupported and completely unrelated statement at the end of a post. Incidently I think that sound is the 10mil or so Ukranians starved to death by Stalin clearing their throats.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Testify! *NM*

Old 02-27-2004, 01:33 PM

Sorry jokerswild, if you add up all that you still don't get anywhere close to 80-100 million. Not to mention that you are erroneously counting WWI as an example of Christian "murders." If you start counting like that then you have to count all the Germans killed by the Soviets in WWII as examples of Communist "murders." But the 80-100 million figure is not counting war dead; it is simply the number of people slaughtered internally by the USSR and Communist China. In other words, the Communists murdered about 15 times as many of their own citizens, as the number of Jews which Hitler murdered. Now think about that.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:47 PM

Default why this is ridiculous

The Christians have murdered more people in the name of Christ than any other organization in history.

setting asside that it's completely unsupported it just doesn't make any sense. Christianity isn't an organization, it's a set of beliefs. If you said the Catholic church then that would be at least logical (wrong, but more on the right track). Christians don't do anything as an organization beyond bake sales and bingo. They are members of other organizations (like the United States) who also follow a set of beliefs. If you start throwing out arguments like the crusades or the spanish inquisition(sp?) I'd say that it's really oversimplified to say those occurred because of Christianity. They occurred because of politicians using christianity to manipulate the public for the benefit of those in power. Blaming Christianity for the crusades is like blaming the concept of Monarchy for the hundred years war. If you want to argue that I'm wrong and there are secret meetings where the Christian organization decides what they're all going to do as a group then it's still a ridiculous statement because you're endicting an "organization" for 2000 years of history. Should North Korea be able to tell us "where do you get off telling us not to commit human rights violations? You kept and mistreated slaves for many years." That was only 150 years ago, the crusades where 900 years ago. you know who's done a lot of killing (or murdering, to use the inflammatory word choice you enjoyed)? White folks. Perhaps they're a blight on society. Actually now that I think about it, men as a group have probably done even more killing than white people as a group. Men are clearly bad. To the isle of Lesbos, Greece for me.