Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 AM

Default What percentage of flops would a tight player see?

A bit of a fundamental question here. I mean tight as a compliment here (i.e. someone who will have long-term success against those who play too many hands).
Best 10% of hands, 20%?
Assume that the pot is unraised.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: What percentage of flops would a tight player see?

Depends on the game. If you only have one super-tight player limp from EP, you'll still fold a lot, even when you're in LP. If you have many loose limpers in the game, you'll play a lot of hands, even in EP.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:17 PM

Agreed that it depends... that said most of the time you see tightish players putting money into the pot on about 18% of hands.... So assuming a reasonably passive game you'd probably see the flop about 22% or so... (free looks from the Big blind being the rest).
Old 02-27-2004, 12:37 PM

My current strategy is to call only the top 10% of hands if UTG, rising in increments to about 40% if dealer, so based on the average you have quoted that seems to be appropriately tight. Next question though: am I making too much allowance for position or is that about right?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:37 PM

Well everything depends on the table. If the table is very aggressive, 10% from EP is probably too liberal. If the table is very passive, 40% may be too tight from LP.

I'm pretty tight and I would say that generally call much less than the top 10% from EP and probably a little less than 40% from LP. Generally is the KEY word here.

There are some games (very loose/passive) where I'll call like 20% from EP and 50% from LP. Others (very tight/aggressive) where if I can't raise from EP, I fold and see only top 20% from LP.

The aggressiveness of the table is a huge factor in deciding how loose/tight you need to be. There's no one corrrect formula.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:31 PM

Overall, I see a little over one-fifth of all flops. This includes flops seen from the blinds positions. I primarily play at 5/10, 10/20 and 15/30.