Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 PM

Default I think I played this right. What do you think?

Playing last night at my local card room and for the first three hours I've raked about three pots, just getting absolutely nothing, when finally in the small blind I look down and find pocket kings.

I raise it out and get 1 caller, this kid who I've played with over the course of the past few weeks whose favorite hand he told me once, was 79x, he likes the one gappers apparently.

Flop comes KdJdKs. Perfect. I figure I don't want to scare him out so I check to him, he bets and I just call, thinking maybe he's got the flush draw.

The turn comes a blank I bet it out, he raises, I reraise, he calls.
The river brings the third diamond and I'm gushing with joy hoping I read it right and that he's playing his flush draw and just hit it. Sure enough, I bet, he raises, I reraise, he reraises and I cap it.
He turns over his 8 high diamond flush and I turn over the quad kings and he stumbles backwards, as his one gappers had come back to bite him in the behind.

I ended up getting the high hand jackpot at the end of the night, so it made it even sweeter and I think I played it right.
If I came out right away and bet it on the flop or reraised him right there I'm not sure if he would have stuck around for his draw and I figured that I'd get him on the turn and the river with bets and raises for more money. One of the players watching the hand said that when the third diamond came out he saw my reaction and figured I had the nut flush and that's why I bet it so hard.
Any insight, comments, etc.?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:48 PM

Default Re: I think I played this right. What do you think?

I don't quite know about the kid's raise on the turn, he seems to be a pretty bad player.
But yea you played the hand just about as good as you can.
The thing with massive flopped hands is just how much money you can get out of them. With a KKJ on the board, the deck is pretty much crippled and checking the flop probably is the best play to let your opponent play catch up. You correctly put him on a draw, and he got it and paid you off on a hand he had no business being in in the first place.
Nice hand.

Chris