Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: It happened to me -- Party hand changes?

na, i checked the graphics, they are ok.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:33 PM

Sapo, when others have said this, I have agreed that it is possible. I have had 2 seperate hands where I was 99% sure the HH were wrong. I definitly think it does happen.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 PM

It's happened to me also. I sat there in shock when the pot was pushed to someone else. I then proceeded to think about what the hell happened for 30 minutes while continuing play. It ate away at me. However, I remember a time when I won a pot I should of lost that way. I just didn't think about it as long, as I figured I misread my opponents cards or something.

Maybe this is why people stay to the river with crap there. You just never know what cards you really have. That 2 might really be an ace and that 7 might really be a king.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 PM

The simplest explanation is generally the truth. Please read my post on sensation vs. perception. Your eyes deceive you (actually, your eyes are fine, it is your brain that deceives you).
Old 02-24-2004, 06:44 PM

The simplest explanation is an software error (it´s party/empire we´r talking about!). But what your saying can be true. However, the next time (if there is any, i sure hope not) i´l be ready to push that print screen button!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:01 PM

All I can say is that Ive seen this happen to people many times playing live in Atlantic City. I have yet to see the floor rule in favor of the player though.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:45 PM

I was content to let this thread die, but it has been ressurected and your post sent me looking.

Shortly after my AK changed to KQ, I checked the image files. They did indeed match up correctly. However, this I just noticed -- I have no idea if it is significant or not, which is why I'm posting here. I'm not into internet conspiracies, and as I said before I must concede the -possibility- I was simply mistaken...

When I examine the bitmap files, the Aces in the deck were created and modified on a different day from the rest of the cards. The twos, for instance, were modified and created 11/9/2002 -- which is bizarre, b/c I've only been on this computer since October or so. But perhaps someone before me (yes, I'm at work) had this software on here? I'm unclear.

The aces, however, were last modified (and were created) March 21, 2003 -- again before I came here.

I suppose there are explanations for the dates being all before I started using this computer - though my system does, now, show the correct date. However, I don't understand why the aces in the deck were created on a different day than the rest of the cards.

For what it's worth, they still match with the cards they should, I've continued playing and have not seen the problem arise again...

El Sapo
Old 02-25-2004, 01:06 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
When I examine the bitmap files, the Aces in the deck were created and modified on a different day from the rest of the cards. The twos, for instance, were modified and created 11/9/2002 -- which is bizarre, b/c I've only been on this computer since October or so. But perhaps someone before me (yes, I'm at work) had this software on here? I'm unclear.

The aces, however, were last modified (and were created) March 21, 2003 -- again before I came here.

I suppose there are explanations for the dates being all before I started using this computer - though my system does, now, show the correct date. However, I don't understand why the aces in the deck were created on a different day than the rest of the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, files stored within a self-extracting archive (which is what you get when you download the software) retain the creation dates and times they had when they were originally placed in the archive. They do not get a new creation or modification date when they are extracted. So, all that means is that those particular files had a different modification/creation date and time than the others. As to why, well, there could be any number of reasons; they may have had design changes that affected only certain ranks of cards, so those were the only ones touched that day.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2004, 05:35 PM

I have no idea how the nuts and bolts of the client software works, but it seems possible that a single bit error introduced into the indexing into the array that points at the card bitmaps could cause this. Maybe.

I also do distributed (grid) computing as a hobby and the subject of results and error checking after a long series of computations (in prime number searching for example) comes up from time to time. Hardware folks will tell you that there is a known rate of "bit flipping" in non ECC memory chips due to things like radioactive decay and cosmic rays. The same physical processes can also occur in the cpu itself. This type of information has been published, I've seen it, I just can't find a link to it right now.

This could be one explanation for what some folks have seen, although it seems very unlikely because the error would have to occur at just the right time and at just the right physical location in memory. I have seen flaky failing hardware throw these kinds of errors though. You may want to get something like PRIME95 to stress test your computer.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:40 PM

If you did have AK, then I assume you were slow-playing the flop?