Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Results (Sorry - kind of lame)

Interesting thread. Hockey, definitely the thinking is more involved than as set forth in my response, I was hoping to give a reasonably detailed response in a short time.

Just wanted to add one or two other thoughts:

1. As someone else mentioned, the raise amount is a bit odd. If he were trying to steal wouldn't 3-4x the bb do it for him?

2. Just a wild shot in the dark but this indicates a hand he likes but doesn't want a call with ie JJ or QQ. I don't know about you all but I rarely fold QQ to a reraise against internet oppostion. In the WSOP I would, but in my experience I have found to many shoddy hands playing back at me.

3. You have postion but it is not as helpful since the money is shallow and you will only have it for one more round. Position is best when you have it for all rounds of betting.

I try not to get results oriented Pete, but what happened (a flat call, a flop that missed and a big bet) is the most frequent scenario, it has happened to me many times and it is damn difficult to call with AK.

Again, very interesting thread.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Big Slick Decision

Hi Pete,

I'd call. I don't like to raise huge on AK early, as with deep money I play AK as a drawing hand. On shallow money, and especially short-handed, it's a monster. But early on, it's only Ace-high.

I read the results, and I don't think you should beat yourself up over this one. Folding AK on the button vs. only one raiser is, to my mind, a mistake. You had to give the hand a chance. It missed. You got out. That happens.

And while you're kicking yourself over the 500 chips you called off there, you might as easily be kicking yourself if you'd folded, wondering if you might have had a few more chips to get through the bubble if you'd just played that AK on the button....

Cris