Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Aces in Paradise

Paradise $0.5/1.

Pretty normal table, maybe even a bit loose by Paradise standards.

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

UTG limps, EMP limps, CO limps, I raise, BB and all call.

Flop [K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]. I bet, BB folds, UTG, EMP and CO call.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, UTG checks, EMP bets, all call.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, UTG checks, EMP bets, CO calls, I call, UTG folds.

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Aces in Paradise

Why didnt you bet the turn ?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:14 AM

I would continue betting. Your opponents could eaisly be holding AJ, AT, a Queen, pocket pair or worse. If you are raised then you can consider folding. It would be hard for someone to raise you unless they hold a king.

Lost Wages
Old 02-24-2004, 10:16 AM

If someone had a K then they would have raised you (in order to dissuade those drawing to a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush). So you could have bet the turn I think.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM

Absolutely you should bet the Turn Festus. You risk it getting checked around and giving a free card to someone who has a straight draw they would have folded. You also risk someone betting the Turn, and checking down the River.

At first I read the Turn action as you calling EMP's bet when you had the button. This I wouldn't have minded, because you would have been keeping everyone else in, and also protecting yourself from the Kings reraise. You could also make sure a bet got in on every street.

You might have been right in this instance about someone having a King. But I still bet.
You also have the advantage if you keep betting they might put you on AK and not raise you. Particularly if it's a passive table.

If the River had been checked there and EMP had a raggy Queen you would have been kicking yourself.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone had a K then they would have raised you (in order to dissuade those drawing to a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush).

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that they *should* raise, but *would* is far from the truth at this level. Slow-played trips are a real possibility that we are going to have to accept.

That doesn't mean we can't bet the turn.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Definitely Stellar.

It is a mistake to consider that someone *would* do something because they *should*. Lots of LL players play nothing like they should. Whatsmore they have a set of responses, that are basically incorrect, that they use *every* time a situation comes up.
i.e.
Flops Trips = Check/Call Flop, Check/Raise Turn.

Horrible standard play, but there's legions of them.

And you still bet the Turn.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Results

EMP had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and took it down. Who knows where his preflop raise was but whatever.

I guess my thinking was pretty flawed here in wanting a cheap showdown. After I got called by 3 opponents, I was quite suspicious of a king lurking since it seems the SOP with trips is indeed to call the flop and raise the turn. I guess betting the turn and folding to a raise was the best play here?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone had a K then they would have raised you (in order to dissuade those drawing to a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush).

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that they *should* raise, but *would* is far from the truth at this level. Slow-played trips are a real possibility that we are going to have to accept.

That doesn't mean we can't bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I think Stellar is poking around in my brain, becuase thats what I was thinking.

In addition most micro players that get this flop dont even see diamond diamond on the board, they see K blah K