Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Great example why slowplaying is not needed in microlimits.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (16.5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (15.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 18.75 BB, between Button, MP1 and Hero.</font>

Does anyone think I lost some bets by not slowplaying?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Great example why slowplaying is not needed in microlimits.

Given all the callers, I would have played this exactly the same. Checking risks giving a free card. None of them had much of anything, and they were likely passive. Bet away...
Old 02-23-2004, 04:34 AM

You definitely can't slowplay with two face cards on board and that many callers. Too many straight draws either out there or coming on the turn.

Also, you don't want to raise preflop with AQ and a bunch of callers already. You're not gonna knock anyone out, but you will succeed in making the pot big enough so that it will be correct to call pot flop with something like bottom pair. When you make a pot big against the low limit morons, you're making their bad play actually correct, which costs you money.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:53 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

This is off topic, but I don't think raising AQo into an enormous field is necessarily the right thing to do (S&amp;M concept), but clearly you're raising with the best hand, so it could go either way.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:15 AM

I wouldn't have raised pre-flop, and might have tried a check-raise before the showdown, but otherwise would have done exactly the same
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 AM

that would be great, but you have to be sure the button is going to bet here since that's the only player behind you.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM

I don't think trips (with 2 on the board) is strong enough to slow play against a field of 7, so I think you played fine.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:06 PM

Several people are saying they wouldn't raise this hand pre flop. I'm not saying that raising is absolutely correct (calling or raising is probably okay here with this many callers), but I would raise here every time. The intention is not to knock people out. Rather it is to get money in the pot with what is likely the best hand. I think AQo wins more than its fair share against any number of opponents and is worth a raise regardless of the number of callers.

If this is incorrect please correct me as I have a leak I need to plug [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2004, 03:20 PM

I raise here too, gotta cut down those implied fish odds.