Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 03:26 AM

Default Re: How much do I suck?

i hope it can make you feel any better, i had a losing streak of 24 SnGs, and net negative for 200 games. Although I have played over 3000 of them and winning good money, I still feel that the site is rigged, players are getting better and I can no longer beat the game after the losing streak. Just yesterday, I was dealt KK seven times, twice no flop, all other five times Ace flopped...
Old 02-20-2004, 03:36 AM

keep telling yourself the site is rigged you fish. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] yum
Old 02-20-2004, 05:40 AM

Default I wish i am still a fish, so i\'d have lots of room to improve,

a good improvement on 30% ROI at $100 table will certainly make me happy.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:41 AM

i went through a streak of 2/26 in the money (both were 3rds). i usually place in the money at 41 %.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:42 AM

what level do u play?
Old 02-20-2004, 05:52 AM

some 50 and some 100.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt KK seven times, twice no flop, all other five times Ace flopped...

[/ QUOTE ]

The A high flops 5 times in a row is 1/1500. However, it is not "rigged."

eastbay
Old 02-20-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: I wish i am still a fish, so i\'d have lots of room to improve,

Didnt you consider dropping down in limits, imo there is a huge difference between the $33 and the $55. The only problem with the $33 is you get 800 chips instead of 1000.
If I loose more than 3/4 I usually play $50 nl and play like a rock, that way I dont get the pressure of having to play marginal hands because of the blinds increase.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:27 AM

Hiya Nottom,

I thought about this post for quite awhile, deciding whether and how to reply.

First, I've been there. I think every poker player has done this at least once, and those who say they haven't either haven't been playing long enough, or they're lying. And while it's obvious that you need to take advantage of this break to calm down, examine your game, and plug some leaks, there's a huge difference between honest, critical self-analysis and psychological self-abuse. I do the self-abuse thing too sometimes -- calling myself an idiot, etc. -- and my partner always steps in and tells me to stop it. So that's what I'm doing here ...

... stop beating yourself up.

Okay, you went on tilt. It happens. To everyone.

Okay, you blew your bankroll. It happens. To everyone.

You are not cursed.

You are not a moron.

You are not unworthy.

You are not a waste of life.

You just had two really bad days at poker. That's all. Nothing else. Don't make it more than it is.

Having said all of that, now that you have a few days off -- because you're waiting for a deposit to clear -- it's time to pick your game apart from the ground up. If you don't have PokerTracker, get it. If you do, study your play and look at the red numbers (where you're losing money).

Look at your starting hands played (General Tab, filter for put money in pot) and see which hands are net losers. Use the Hand Replay feature, with Pot Odds and Win Percentages on, to see where you're making -EV decisions.

Look at your Final Hands (Misc. Stats tab) and see which final hands are your big losers (probably High Card and possibly One Pair), then go through those hands (see below on that tab) one by one. Were they bad beats? Did you not protect hands strongly enough? Did you overplay marginal hands?

Then spend a few days just observing. Watch the players who are consistent winners (you probably know who they are) and see what they're doing that you weren't. Scout your opponents. As you're observing, say aloud the hands you think they're playing, and why you've made that read. If you're right, wonderful. If you're wrong, ask yourself why you misread it, and whether you could have read it correctly. (Obviously, sometimes you're just dealing with a drunk who'll play any two cards as if they're AA.)

I know you know most of this, because you're an experienced and skilled player. And this is probably pedantic as hell, and if it sounds patronizing or arrogant I apologize. It's not my intent to offend you, but rather to encourage you. I've seen you play. You're better than this losing streak. You just hit a tough couple of days and tilted.

Oh well. You're human.

In the end, the money will come and go. But who you are, as a human being, is so much more than your poker bankroll.

So ... how much do you suck?

Not at all.

Cris
Old 02-21-2004, 07:00 AM

Just the two words to add Cris.

"Hear Here" (covered both spellings just in case [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

stoneii