Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Default QQ on the Button - When should I slowplay?

Good evening,
QQ on the button, flops top set. This looks like the best time if any to slowplay and see if I can extract (especially on the rainbow flop). Does my smooth call on the flop make sense? I assumed BB would bet again on the turn. The straight draw on the river worried me too. Comments and critiques accepted.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO-1 calls, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO-1 calls.

Flop: (14.5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO-1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Results later...
Old 02-19-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Re: QQ on the Button - When should I slowplay?

I'd probably jam this on the flop, but I think slowplaying top set on a rainbow board is also acceptable. I like your change of plans on the turn when the BB doesn't bet again -- it would be atroctious to check it through there.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Yeah, this is an OK slowplay time, although I prefer to do it when there's not much of a straight draw either - say if it had been Q 7 3 instead. Scary board on the end, luckily you didn't get raised (not that you could have folded). QJ is too likely to get a piece of the limpers here, so I'm personally inclined to jam it although it's a matter of personal preference. Jones says people slow-play sets way too often, and I tend to agree.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Default RESULTS

BB shows Ah Jc, UTG+1 10d10h and MHIG.

It's definitely a rare time that I ever slowplay the top set because it is so vulnerable. It seemed like the timing was perfect for it though. I think even if I raise, they're both coming along for the ride, just gonna check through instead of betting. I figured if they're gonna call either way, try and get the extra 2BB on the turn. And yes, I lucked out that no one hung around with a 9.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:40 AM

I would think that you could of reraised on the flop and they still woulda called it down.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:17 AM

I would have raised the flop, although your position makes it more difficult to scare off those drawing for a straight