Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: NLHE Hypothetical Question

I may have misunderstood, are you asking if you call an all in bet, or if you'd bet all in?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:37 PM

So you would risk a 33% chance going broke, and not having money to play another hand of poker, for a 66% chance of tripling your bankroll?

I suggest you take a closer look at Gambling Theory and Other Topics, for a better understanding of bankroll management.

The bankroll considerations in GT&OT pertain to game selection, not decisions once you are in a game. MM would recommend not playing with your entire BR in the first place, but once that decision was made he would call here without question.

In fact, not taking a risk can be far more devestating to your bankroll than taking a risk (the no-bust strategy in blackjack comes to mind). The only reason not to push in would be if you plan to quit the game. If you plan to keep playing pushing in is mandatory.

Just my opinion of course.

Paul
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may have misunderstood, are you asking if you call an all in bet, or if you'd bet all in?

[/ QUOTE ]
The question is if you would risk your entire BR on a single hand where you will win 66% of the time.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:36 PM

I understand its hypothetical, but I wouldn't have my entire bankroll at a no limit table. This question is more relevant for me in a tournament context. In that case, it would depend on how far along the game was, if I needed $ to keep from being blinded out etc.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:37 PM

You are exactly right. I could not make this bet - the element of ruin is too great. In fact, I wouldn't even play AA preflop here, despite the fact that I'm at best 93% favorite (or something on that order).

Along the same lines, there was a terrific 80-160 game going the other night, and I couldn't play, though it was close.

Do I like to gamble? You bet I do; I'm very willing to put my money in on a coinflip situation, and I want my opponents to know that. However, I do these things knowing it ain't the end of the world if I lose. My bankroll is a non-replinishable asset for me, to good approximation.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you would risk a 33% chance going broke, and not having money to play another hand of poker, for a 66% chance of tripling your bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this comment has been quoted many times, and I don't quite understand the (perhaps obvious) reasoning behind it. Why you are tripling your bankroll in the situation posed and not just doubling it?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM

Or how risk averse are you?? I think the term bankroll makes the answer a little confusing for non-professionals, I consider a certain amount of money my "bankroll", but it's definitely fungible. Money has come out of the bank roll when things are going very well, and if things ever go very badly, I can create a larger bankroll by putting some of my normal income in. So in that sense, I would risk my whole bankroll when I would double it two thirds of the time. Hell, I'm young enough that I would probably risk all of my liquid assets on such a bet. I'd still have a job, and I'd still have my "hard assets" (House, car, etc.). Once we start talking about risking more, than I think risk aversion would set in. To take it to an extreme, could it be rational to risk all of your current wealth, and all of your future income, with any non zero probability of losing it?
I think what is really relevant, is that you should never be playing cards at a level where risk aversion comes into play. If you can't make the call with the kings, you can't be in the game.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:42 PM

My bad, I did not realize I would wager everything on the hand. In that case I would fold even AA. I would not gamble my entire bankroll in one hand.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:45 PM

See my above post. My bad, I misread the posters question. I would not gamble my entire bankroll on any hand, including Aces.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:50 PM

I had a similar situation occur Tue at Foxwoods. KK under the gun, I bet a reasonable amount but enough to get some callers and maybe a raiser. My intention was to come over the top if I did. Over time, it is most likely the correct play.

ps. What happened? LP with half my stack size raised to about 25% of my stack. I re-raised all-in knowing he could be strong, and possibly holding AA. If he had AA, those are the breaks. He called, AA, I lose. Was I dissapointed? yes. Would I do it again? the very next hand if I had to.