Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Continue the bluff, or give up??

Here's an interesting situation I sometimes run into

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Teddy_CIA has K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is SB

Button folds, Teddy_CIA limps, BB checks

Flop(2 SB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Teddy_CIA bets, BB calls

Turn(2 BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Teddy_CIA checks, BB checks

River(2 BB): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Teddy_CIA checks, BB bets, Teddy_CIA folds

This player is a typical PP loose/passive player, so I think my fold here was correct, as he doesn't seem the type to bet with nothing. Of course my check on the turn reeks of weakness, so maybe he made a play at the pot? Actually after reading through it just now, I realize I should've raised pf, and bet out at the flop with my two overcards. This probably would've given me a much better chance to take the pot.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Continue the bluff, or give up??

I think you answered your own question- if you wanted to bluff you should have done it pre-flop. Even with a loose/passive player, you probably have a 50/50 chance of knocking him out here-especially if you are going at it heads up. Once he caught a piece of the flop, any little piece of it all all including a gutshot straight draw or backdoor flush draw, it's not likely you could move him off the hand. The pot was small enough that you probably weren't giving up much by folding. Who knows, he might have made a straight on the river and all you had was two overcards.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually after reading through it just now, I realize I should've raised pf, and bet out at the flop with my two overcards. This probably would've given me a much better chance to take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. if you are first in from late position always raise instead of limp no matter what.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

exactly. if you are first in from late position always raise instead of limp no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe this is generally accepted advice for SB. From button or cutoff I would agree with you. But certainly I would raise with these two big cards.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:06 PM

I don't know how you should play this, but folding the river is nuts after he checks behind you on the turn. He has nothing. There is every chance he bet because he *knows* he can't win a showdown.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe this is generally accepted advice for SB. From button or cutoff I would agree with you. But certainly I would raise with these two big cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not the sb? im not saying raise no matter what im saying raise instead of limp no matter what.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:07 PM

Raise preflop